Buy HDMI to DVI cable before installer arrives?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by smeg, Jan 29, 2009.

1. smeg

smeg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Ive just ordered the HD box however my Plasma only has a Dvi-D (HDCP) input and not HDMI. Does this mean i will need to buy HDMI to DVI cable or will the installer have such a cable?

Also should i expect a new HD box or will it be a brown box job:nono: Im currently upgrading my sky+ box to HD as my current box is now crashing daily (4 years old) and was cheaper to get the HD box ;)

2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    They'll just use what comes in the box - i.e an HDMI cable.

3. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    My tv only has a DVI and i bought an adapter just in case the installers turned round and said 'you dont have a HDMI slot so we cant hook it up'.

Im glad I did as thats exactly what they said (they were contractors and not very good ones at that), so I showed them the adapter and got it hooked up. This was back in 2006 so im sure things have probably moved on since then.

4. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,896
    An adapter is a good choice, save confusing the installers since you can show them a HDMI socket at the back of the TV.
    UK HDMI,DVI and SCART cable supplier is a good example, goes straight into the DVI socket.

5. Eyewhy

Eyewhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Don't forget tho that the DVI input won't carry sound.

6. SkyVanMan

SkyVanMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sky installers should have them on the van (I do), but dont know about subbies. Should not be a brown box if its a new install. Dont forget, to go with the dvi adaptor you will need a seperate sound connection, usually phono to 3.5mm jack.

7. smeg

smeg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everybody, im going to get a HDMI to DVI cable or the adapter as for the sound im currently using the optical from my sky+ to Denon AVR1802 Amp. However I think the HD box is not compatable for Dolby Digital output from my amp as it never worked with my existing Sky+ Box when on the movie channels and had to settlle with just ProLogic :mad: Im assuming that the same will happen with the HD box which is a shame.

Thanks to everybody ... id forgotten how good this site is :smashin:

8. robbie red

robbie red

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate. I've just got a new plasma and getting a bit possessive of it ;) Do you thing the installer would mind if I took care of hooking up the hd box to my own telly while he worked on the extra cabling for the box being moved upstairs? Just so scared of something going wrong with my new telly. Silly huh!!!

9. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934

If you haven't gone to the Optical menu and changed it the default setting is Stereo (Pro-Logic), make sure it is set to DD on the Optical Out settings.

This is on the Sky+/Sky+HD box, but default the installers will leave it on Stereo.

I personally run the cables before the installer gets there, that way they just plug into the box and don't go around the back of the TV. My installers were always confused by the optical :confused:, one asked what it was but he figured out where to put it:rolleyes:, and these were all Sky not subbies.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  10. o0 Deuce 0o

o0 Deuce 0o
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Put your hdmi cable in before installer comes so the end he needs to put into hd box will be sitting where you want the box,no need for him to touch your new tv that way.:thumbsup: