Buy from Cd wow in Ireland- pls help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Ewan, May 7, 2004.

1. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    A mate told me cd wow has a site/shop based in Ireland-
    http://www4.cdwow.ie/index.php?affid=13399

He told me if I order from there- I won't have to pay import tax! is this true?

I thought I would give this a try- so I ordered "Angel:Complete Third Season- region 1. It was 42.95 EURO- I got no warning about "import tax"

Is my mate telling the true? Any adivce?

2. smiler

smiler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Ewan,

Are you based in the UK or the R.O.I ?

If the former then you're probably at the same level of risk as if you ordered from .com or .hk. If you're in the south then I'm uncertain what their custom levels are but you're probably at the same level of risk as the disks come from outside the E.U

I cant be certain but unfortunately think I'm right.

Smiler

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it doesnt matter whether he is in UK or ROI...... they cant be selling things without the vat having already been paid since both are within the EU. If the shop is indeed in ireland then there shouldnt be any import duty. The question im more prone to ask is whether it is indeed in ireland or whether the site simply is a .ie and gets shipped directly from elsewhere.....

ad

4. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Ewan
    I live in Ireland and have been using CD-WOW for ages,

No.1 DON'T order from cdwow.ie, order from CD-WOW.com, it's always cheaper and at the moment that boxset would cost you €39.97! Just select EURO in the dropdown menu when you're paying on the CC page.

No.2 There is a SLIGHT chance you may get caught by customs and have to pay extra, as others have said 'once it comes from outside the EU'. In about 40 transactions I've never had any trouble but then they all weren't €40 boxsets either.

Good luck!

Keith

5. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    If you reside in a European Union country and order goods originating from another European Union country, you DO NOT have to pay additional taxes.

Simple as that.

6. smiler

smiler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Surely the point is none of Cd-wows products origonate from within the Eu ;)

7. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I'm just clarifying whaat people have said in this thread. If you adhere to these rules, you will know for sure whether you're liable to additional taxes.

Essentially, all one has to do is to find out whether the aforementioned site is delivering from within the EU, a quick email should do the trick.

Whether Ewan is based in the UK or ROI is irrelevant since they are both EU members.

8. smiler

smiler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry mate but how is it irrelevant, the tax thresholds are different in the south so presumeably are the customs thresholds and what applies to those in the UK may well be different to what applies to those in R.O.I. (We haven't got unified tax rates in the E.U yet as far as i'm aware ;) )

Of course the main issue is that the disks are usually shipped from H.k so in the end the risk is there that customs will be able to have a say (if its spotted) regardless of wether he's UK or ROI.

9. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    It's irrelevant because VAT would have been collected in the country where the goods originated.

Import tax shouldn't be an issue either as I'm sure it would breach the provisions relating to the free movement of goods.

10. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Thanks for all the replies:smashin:

I live in Scotland- I ordered from Cdwow in Ireland hoping I would get my order quicker:smoke:

I ordered Angel Season 3 DVD box set- so even if I have import tax on it- it's still cheaper than the UK version;)