Buy Cheaper Online or Buy Local For More?

mengez

Established Member
Reaction score
I like to buy local for all the usual reasons, to support local business, point of contact if you have a problem, etc.......
However I can order my new Panny today for over £90 less from Comet online and wait a week for delivery or go to my local independent pay the extra (get a "Free" 5 Year Warranty) and pick up now.

You can argue the warranty either way as normally I wouldn't buy an extended warranty so in effect would be paying £90 for something I wouldn't buy any other time or I can take the view that I'm getting a good deal with it thrown in.

I'm not looking for guidance from anybody as such, just thought it might be something worth having a chat about and might help me along the way!

won't the local negotiate on pice?
They have and in fairness I wouldn't expect them to be able to match an online or "Superstore" price.

Hi,
For service and warranty I would usually go more most retailers in bricks and mortar stores than the web-based warehouse businesses. I don't disagree with their business model, but I feel that the local or national chain stores can sometimes offer more.

I am willing to pay a little bit extra. Often before I purchase any equipment, I will call my local retailers. Whilst I appreciate that they cannot match online prices if they can get to around £20-£50 (depending on overall price) I will buy it from them. For example the cheapest i saw an arcam avr 280 was for £399 and I picked it up for £420 from my local retailer. However, there is a limit to my price tolerance. If the price is substantially higher than value becomes an overriding factor.

Just out of intrest which panny are you going for, and how much is the retailer asking?

just out of intrest which panny are you going for, and how much is the retailer asking?

42v10 £1068

EDIT: Going local.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom