Question Buy Arcam AVR850 today?

General Skanky

Hi All.

Been a while......

Simple question really.

The threads are huge here ref the 850 so haven't got the time to read it all.

Had an Arcam AVR400 before and loved it.

Now I have a Marantz SR8012. Great bit of kit, but with the sell off of the 850s now they have released the HDA range, price has dropped massively, cnan sell the 8012 and buy a new 850 meaning a total upgrade cost of about £1500.

My gut says yes but what do you think?

Sound quality is all which is why my finger is hovering over the 'Buy Button'.

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 39241

Do it! The Arcam AVR 390 / 550 / 850 range are not perfect, but for sound quality they are superb. And there are workarounds for all of the 'characteristics' and plenty of help on the owners thread.

I haven't heard a Marantz SR8012 in my room, but I did have a Marantz SR7011 before, and the Arcam is much better. My hunch is that you will prefer the Arcam for sound quality, and probably the £1500 cost to change will be worth it. You do, of course, get Dirac, which is an added bonus to have.

General Skanky

Thanks.

New best friend with agreement like that :)

I like the case of the 850, new look is a bit wrong for me.

I know the Arcam sound.

Glass G yes please!

Room correction I'm unsure about, prefer my ears to Audessey. Dirac may be better.

Video just needs to pas through. I let the TV do the work.

Before i jump, any other last thoughts?

D

Deleted member 39241

As I said, be aware that it is not a perfect product. If you stick to the last but one firmware, which is posted on the 1st post of the owners thread, and use the latest version of Dirac V2 from the Dirac website, not the Arcam website, you will avoid a lot of the pitfalls.

As a former AVR400 owner, you will be familiar with the dated OSD!

General Skanky

Done. Bought it.

Once I get hold of it I'll sell my Marantz.

Good to know the Arcam sound is coming back.

CarlB

Love my 850 and see no compelling reason to consider an upgrade after seeing the new range. Sure, there are some niggles and it doesn’t have the multitude of features (I never used) on my previous Denons, but it’s the best-sounding AVR I’ve owned.

General Skanky

It's purely the sound I want.

I realised in my set up is 99% movies.

Surround sound i.e. Dolby /DTS.

Not much else.

Bluetooth would be handy for streaming radio from my phone app, but that's it. Not critical listening for that. Alexa.....

I'll be a 5.2.4 setup. Didn't like Atmos.

So the Arcam is perfect as its at a massively reduced price.

Simples.

D

Deleted member 39241

Hopefully you are aware that there are only 7 onboard amps on the Arcam 850, so you will need a 2 channel amp to complete your 5.2.4 set-up.

D

Deleted member 39241

Ha, I don't know, what speaker set-up do you have?

D

Deleted member 39241

5.2 then. That gives you the option of a couple of atmos speakers at a later date if you fancy.

General Skanky

Tried that on the marantz. Not for me.

5.2 was always amazing. Adding atmos doesn't mean that changes at all.

Happy with that.

General Skanky

Depends.

i paid £2995 for a brand new one from Nintronics.

the deals are coming through now until all stock is sold.

Mroy62

Novice Member
H
Depends.

i paid £2995 for a brand new one from Nintronics.

the deals are coming through now until all stock is sold.

Hope it’s ok to jump on this thread... I have just bought the Arcam 390 for $1000 at my local Best Buy. I upgraded from a 6 year old basic Bose soundbar and subwoofer. I have paired it with a couple of KEF Q150s and a Q250C. I simply love the dynamics I get. I haven’t used Dirac yet (I’m completely new to room balancing). I just installed the latest firmware update. Based on the comments above, was that a mistake?

shug4476

H

Hope it’s ok to jump on this thread... I have just bought the Arcam 390 for $1000 at my local Best Buy. I upgraded from a 6 year old basic Bose soundbar and subwoofer. I have paired it with a couple of KEF Q150s and a Q250C. I simply love the dynamics I get. I haven’t used Dirac yet (I’m completely new to room balancing). I just installed the latest firmware update. Based on the comments above, was that a mistake?

Did you say $1000?!?

I have checked the website and they are listed there at $1,499 which, despite being a British-manufactured product and being subject to US tariffs, is still much cheaper than they're going for here.

Rip off Britain strikes again!

Mroy62

Novice Member
Did you say $1000?!?

I have checked the website and they are listed there at $1,499 which, despite being a British-manufactured product and being subject to US tariffs, is still much cheaper than they're going for here.

Rip off Britain strikes again!

Yep - 1000 bucks! I basically told the sales manager that I couldn't understand why everyone talked about features rather than sound quality. Told him that before I moved to the States (from England) that people talked about sound quality before features. At that point he said he had two 390s and was prepared to sell for $1000. After I did a bit of research (and saw they were at least $1500 on line everywhere else, I went back and purchased together with the KEFs.

ashenfie

Do it! The Arcam AVR 390 / 550 / 850 range are not perfect, but for sound quality they are superb. And there are workarounds for all of the 'characteristics' and plenty of help on the owners thread.

I haven't heard a Marantz SR8012 in my room, but I did have a Marantz SR7011 before, and the Arcam is much better. My hunch is that you will prefer the Arcam for sound quality, and probably the £1500 cost to change will be worth it. You do, of course, get Dirac, which is an added bonus to have.
No sure what work-arounds you imagine maybe needed. Arcam 850/550/390 quite simply work and work very well. Dirac will vastly improve you bass in untreated rooms and a key reason to buy. While Dirac is fiddly to setup it well worth it.

For sure Arcam don't give you an endless list of features. Who uses more than 5% of the features on offer.
Having said that a better media play would be handy, but then agian that can easily be solved.

In summary If music is high on you list then the Arcam will easily be an upgrade. If your 90% movies then maybe not such a big step.

D

Deleted member 39241

No sure what work-arounds you imagine maybe needed.
Hi, they are not imagined workarounds, but real ones with the Arcam AVR550 in my system!

So, for example... using the previous firmware instead of the latest one as the latest one breaks DTS, using a splitter on the one trigger output for the main zone to trigger my two power amps. Using external power amps if wanting to run more than 7 speakers. Having the two subwoofers as an internal splitter, so they are EQ'd by Dirac as one. The global crossover for all of the base level speakers. Personally, I use an external DAC for music, as I find it sounds better than the the DAC in the Arcam. And, I use Dirac very sparingly as it works best that way in my room.

Those are some of the workarounds that I can think of, off the top of my head.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

VIDEO: Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic unveils its 2022 OLED and Core LED TV collection
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
KEF unveils LS60 Wireless speaker system
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony announces A95K QD OLED prices for UK