1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buy AGP now or wait for PCI-E???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MRW, Oct 5, 2004.

1. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm looking at building a new PC.

I'm currently leaning towards getting a Asus A8V Wireless Edition Socket 939 motherboard (chillblast £90 inc VAT) and a Sapphire Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition AGP Full-Retail (komplett £330 inc VAT).

The question is this:

Do I but an X800XT (non Platinum Edition as there is currently no Platinum Edition PCI Express available) but the PCI Express version now for £325, along with a Socket 939 motherboard (as I'm buying a socket 939 AMD 63 3500+) with support for PCI Express at the end of the month when they hopefully come out?

Or do I go for the higher clocked X800XT Platinum Edition AGP now, along with the Asus A8V (AGP) now?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/shopper/news...tform.html?searchString=via+k8t890+via+k8t890

Thanks for any views...

Matthew

2. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    depending on your needs for a gfx card, you may want to wait for the nvidia 6600 in pci-e, this is the card of choice for theatertek 2 and looks like it'll be around the £150 mark.

This is not a bad card for gaming and will have on board video processor and can even take pressure of the cpu with HI DEF.

Hope this helps

Rgds

Dave

3. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought an XFX Geforce 6800 for £175 as an interrim card until I upgrade fully to PCI-E in a year or so :)

Dave