1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buy Advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Simba, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking between the Tosh SD 220E, Tosh SD420E and Sony 705. Looking around and can get good prices but which palyer to get? Not too fussed on SACD but the Sony's got the disc resume, useful, and it's probably better menu functionalities. It doesn't have THX capabilities though. Had popped to curry's to get price comparison's and was told Tosh SD420E is to be replaced - I thought it was recently released......?!? Richer sounds tells me that SD420E a better player than SD220E. I like looks of SD220E over SD420E but not over the Sony though. Havent looked much at other players. I have a Sony KV32WS2U and a Technics SH-720ES system for sound.
    Thanks!

2. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any opinions? :rolleyes:

3. sconepanman

sconepanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 520 Tosh and it is a cracking player. The 420 has similar audio circuitry (decoding). The 220 shares the 420s video circ. and they are both spectacular. The 220 has been a bit of a favourite amongst the reviewers over the past few months. At £120 you cannot go wrong and IMHO if you don't need a builtin 5.1 decoder, the 220 is the one to go for. I doubt if the 420 will be replaced until well after Chrimbo. And if it is, Curry's is not likely to be the first to get it :D

I have not seen the Sony 705 but I had heard that the previous generation, the 700/900 were better. Sorry.

4. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the 220 certainly has been a favourite - I couldn't even find any reviews on the 420. One of the reasons I'd been checking out the Sony 705 was coz I have a Sony TV.
    I don't think the guy at Curry's knew what he was talking about, I've mailed Toshiba - let's see what they say. But most probably I'll go for the 420 now. BTW, I'm being quoted £159 from RS for 420 multiregional-couldn't find a match on price from web(pricerunner).......
    Thanks!

5. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was choosing out of the same dvd players except I had the Pioneer 350 in the list.

I have just bought my Tosh SD-420E from RS for £150..

I didnt buy the Sony because, I dont need SACD, and the other components inside will have to be compensated just to get the SACD facility.

I tries the Pioneer, it has the best menus of the lot ! but didnt have all the requied outputs.

the Tosh has excellent Video playback, and audio is amazing too. The menus are o.k.

It doesnt sound very good when playing cds though :(
    All my VCDs play without a problem. SVCD too !

There are a few things that annoy me.

1. The mp3 text only has 8 letters!
    2. The CD drawer sounds abit cheap, and it is alittle bit on the noisy side.
    3. It doesnt have CD TEXT, where as the SONY Does.

I wouldnt change my choice if i had to choose again.

B.T.W
    it looks very classy with the half mirror finish !

6. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it's very annoying to have a good piece of kit then find out someone designed some of it's other features so stupidly.
    But thanks for that feedback, very good to know. I now only have to part with the ££'s for the 420E :)
    I'll have a look at RS as you mention.