Buy a used Yamaha RX-V371?

drmjf86

Novice Member
I am not an audiophile by a long shot. When we moved from a 100 year old farmhouse to a 9 year old house 9 years ago I purchased a Yamaha home theater in a box set up from Best Buy because the basement was wired for surround speakers. The included receiver was the HTR-3064 which, I've seen written on this forum, is identical to the RX-V371. The HTR-3064 served my simple needs. What I really liked about it was all the various available connections and the YDS-12 iPod dock which I added. I'm now in a condo and not using any of the surround features, only 2 front/1 center/powered subwoofer for TV viewing, streamed music and my iPod. I'd like to set up a 2nd room in the condo for similar use. I can get a used RX-V371 and a used YDS-12 dock for $115. The iPod dock is really the biggest attraction as, not surprisingly, I've never found a 3rd party iPod dock that integrated as smoothly and have never mastered universal remotes that might make things smoother with a 3rd party dock. The lack of onscreen display hasn't been an issue for me with the HTR-3064 as I usually just put my iPod on random play. My question is, even for my simple needs, would it be stupid to buy the RX-V371. I'm cheap by nature but cost really isn't the issue. More modern receivers have gone to USB and Bluetooth for external music storage devices and I would prefer to stick with my familiar iPod dock (I would qualify as an "old dog"). At the same time, I don't want to throw good money after bad and do have Bluetooth capable devices that I could use with a receiver that did not have a dedicated iPod dock. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom (simple words, please).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom