Question Buy a One X first or 4k Monitor?

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by Gordon B, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Gordon B

Gordon B

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +993
      Allow me to explain.

Currently have a One S with a 24in Curved Samsung, lovely picture btw. Want to upgrade to a One X with a 4K monitor (TV to be upgraded at a later date TBC).

So, should I upgrade the console now and continue to use the Samsung until a decent monitor drops, the internet tells me the X will make any game look better. But will an X enhanced game look better in 1920 x 1080?

or

Upgrade the monitor now and continue using the One S and wait for eventual drop in price of the X, or a nice limited edition to be released come holiday and AAA release time in Sep/Oct/Nov.

Can't afford to do both as the One S and Monitor both have to go towards funding the new set up, hence one new purchase at a time :)

Thanks for your time:smashin:

2. DAZ UK 74

DAZ UK 74
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,115
      I enjoyed my XBOX S with my 4K TV, the UHD makes everything sparkle

The S still uses UHD so you will get some sparkle from the games and films you watch on a 4K monitor or TV.

If you buy the X first you will get faster loading times, more draw distance and more objects on the screen but you still won't get the 4K/UHD effects.

Me personally I would buy the 4K Monitor/TV first then the X later. That way you can still see some shiney shiney of the UHD effects.

3. amardilo

amardilo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,728
      Is the resolution of your monitor 1080p (if it can do 1440p then the latest update that is in beta testing for 1440p support might be worth looking at)?

I have a 1080p TV and the Xbox One X is pretty great on it.

If a game is enhanced for the Xbox One X you still get those enhancements at 1080p, so if a game uses higher res textures you still get to see those higher res textures.

Games that are enhanced and run at higher resolutions on the Xbox One X are supersampled down to run at 1080p and the difference is a little noticeable. Games look a little more sharp.

Unenhanced games that have framerate drops on the Xbox One S (such as Batman: Arkham Knight) stick closer to their target framerate on the Xbox One X.

Unenhanced games with scaleable screen resolutions such as Battlefield 1 stick closer to their max resolution on the Xbox One X.

I can see a visible difference on backwards compatible games with things like the 16x AF making things look cleaner. Then there are backwards compatible games that are Xbox One X enhanced too (without touching the game code).

There are games like Rise of the Tomb Raider that have a 1080p high framerate mode which makes the game run at a higher framerate than the Xbox One S.

Games like PUBG look a lot better on the Xbox One X over the S with better draw distance and a little more detail.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    4. Gordon B

Gordon B

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +993
      Games like PUBG look a lot better on the Xbox One X over the S with better draw distance and a little more detail.

Even on a 1080p monitor?

Is the resolution of your monitor 1080p

1080 only AFAIK

5. amardilo

amardilo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,728
      If we are talking about PUBG in particular yes (textures are a big step up in my opinion). Here is a video of the very early build of PUBG showing the differences (see around 4:50 for side by side).
      [4K] PUBG: Xbox One vs PC vs Xbox One X...

But in general there are plenty of games in which games look better on the Xbox One X over the Xbox One regardless of screen resolution (i.e. Rise of the Tomb raider's enhanced visual modes).

Also regardless of the resolution of your monitor all games will run at their top resolution (i.e. Halo 5 will run upto 4K) and then be super sampled down by the console to 1080p so you will see better visuals there too.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    6. Pavement

Pavement

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +175
      You will get benefits even at 1080p as previously mentioned and a lot better in game performance.

Personally I’d go console upgrade first if gaming is the primary focus of the upgrade plan.

7. King Tones

King Tones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +17,599
      Console First, reap the benefits and be amazed and then decide on 4K at a later date. You won't be disappointed even at 1080p
      I'm certainly not.

8. Gordon B

Gordon B

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +993
      "scurries off to the Classifieds to find a second hand one x"

Thanks all.

9. yoshe

yoshe

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19
      I went xbox x first, much faster load times.