Buy a new 15.4" macbook pro or a second hand 17" MacBook pro

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by rupert-hd, Feb 3, 2009.

1. rupert-hd

rupert-hd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well my 4 year old windows laptop is on it's last legs and after hearing horrible reports of vista I thought I might give apple a go.
    Got about a grand tops to spend so do I go for an ex display new MacBook pro 15.4" 2.4 ghz in my local computer shop or do I go the eBay route and get an Older 17" MacBook pro with probably a 2.2ghz processor??
    would love a new 17" but can't afford it.
    Also would either of these be up to editng avchd high def movies without too much trouble? plus that's another reason wanting a 17" display!

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    get the new unibody one. Either ex display or apple have refurbs up these days which gets you a full warranty and they are as good as new, just cheaper.

17" old one gets you more resolution and more physical inches, but thats about it. the new one should be faster, the trackpad is way nicer and it should hold its value better.

It'll be fine for AVCHD editing - my old white macbook was. its a perfectly fine machine as the main and only computer in a house. If you want more inches/resolution, connect it up to an external monitor.

3. krlock3

krlock3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    new 15.4 fo sho.

4. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Don't bother with eBay until you've ruled out the Apple refurb store. As to 15 vs 17" only you can answer that.

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    £1199 refurb on the uk store right now. link

6. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Refurb store isn't working at the moment. I just tried placing an order for this and its rejected 2 credit cards and 2 debit cards. Marvellous!!!

7. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Jeez, finally got it ordered. Had to use my misses Maestro card, wouldn't even accept mine so in total it rejected 5 cards before getting on that worked. Weird!

Chuffed with that, nearly £200 cheaper than in store so happy with that.

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    do I get commission? :rotfl:

9. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Here you go

$$$

:smashin:

Have been planning on getting one for a while but was waiting to sell my current MBP. At that price though its cheaper than I could get it normally and its the model I was after so why not eh!

Now to order the memory and 500gb disk :)

10. rupert-hd

rupert-hd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for all your replies guys you have been a great help. Looks like I will be purchasing a refurb as the one in my local shop turns out to be an old model.
    seeing as I'm going to be spending a fair bit would it be snsible to go for the higher spec 15" MacBook pro as it has a 512mb graphics card? If I bought the lower spec one I could always upgrade things like the ram but not the graphics card. As said in earlier post I won't be using it for games just some hi def video editing.
    Thanks

11. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    I've got the 2.53, and I love it, it's well fast :D
    But I play games in XP, if you don't then it may be worth saving some penny's. The 2.4 is still a capable beast, however the CPU cache is lower. Weather you will notice or not I suppose depends on how into HiDef films you are.
    I would say if the 2.53 comes along at the right price grab it. do NOT wait. Otherwise get a 2.4.
    I say do NOT wait as it seems the Apple refurb store is very well known and it's like ebay. You haven't got too much time to umm and arr about buying it before it's gone.

12. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    if you have the money, but the best you can.

IMO, the 2.53 is too small a bump in processor speed to warrant the quite big jump in price. I know if I justified that to myself I'd start stretching for the 17"...

The graphics card won't make a difference to video editing, so I'd stick with the 2.4 - or grab the first new one that appears on the refurb store whichever it happens to be.

13. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Have to say quite impressed with the refurb store. Ordered yesterday at 2pm, and got a shipped confirmation at 8pm!

Checked this morning and it was out for delivery with UPS but then an hour later it was cancelled because of the snow. Oh well, wait til tomorrow now :)

14. krlock3

krlock3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    refurb means it was faulty, sent in and fixed?

i would never buy one of those. once something has gone wrong once, i feel it is more likely to go wrong again.

15. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Not necessarily. My first was returned unopened because of a spec change, that would have been resold as a refurb. Switchers Mac's decide they don't really want to stay with it and return within the 14 day period - those will be sold through the refurb store.

There is a opinion that refurbs are less likely to fail because they're individually inspected.

16. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    That leaves more for the rest of us then :smashin:

I've bought a few bits from the refurb store over the years (4 ipods, my current imac, a few ibooks and some powerbooks and imacs for a company i used to work for) - have never had a problem with anything from there.

17. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I bought the 24"Imac ALUM from the REfurb store .IT was immaculateand had a bigger hard drive (1tb) than advertised.I`m about to buy a macbook pro
    from them . I can`t fault them.:thumbsup:

18. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Not true.

My misses brought a refurb Dell and it turned out to be a custom order which was cancelled. Brand new laptop but sold on refurb store as not a standard spec. I know a few people who've ordered from Apple Refurb and all have been very happy, a lot of them are also on this forum.

19. Damien

Damien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Ding to that, my iMac is a refurb and they all come with 12 months warranty. There is not way you could tell it was a refurb either, it looked 100% brand new. We have been really pleased with it and i would definately buy from the refurb store again.
    D

20. madp

madp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have an imac and new Macbook Alu purchased recently from the refurb store. The only difference was they were packaged in brown boxes and not the posh ones you get in the apple Store. I wold say buy from the refurb store with confidence.

21. krlock3

krlock3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i type corrected.

22. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Snow is causing havoc with my delivery. Yesterday didn't happen due to the snow and UPS is showing it out for delivery since 5am this morning, but Northampton is grid locked again due to snow so looks like I'll have to wait till Monday now :(

23. rupert-hd

rupert-hd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well just a quick update here! I am currently typing this on my new Macbook pro 2.53 ghz:D
    Thanks for all the advice guys you have been a great help.
    Ordered laptop from the refurb store at 10am yesterday (thursday) and had it delivered today at 9.30am (friday) so great service there.
    Unpacking the new laptop and my heart sank, I thought there was a massive dent in the side, but upon closer inspection it was just the plastic cellophane covering!! phew!
    After a good inspection I found no marks or damage anywhere,so really impressed with the refurb store. Only difference as far as I can tell is it came in a plain white box rather than a fancy apple one.
    I haven't worked out how to use the quotes on this forum yet, but as "apolloa" said keep an eye on the store as things move quickly, Wednesday night it was empty, but luckily the laptop I wanted was back on thursday morning.
    I completely over spent my budget, but at least it should last a good few years and I won't be wondering 6 months down the line if I should have got the better spec one.
    As for the 17" model it would have been nice, but I can always hook it up to an external monitor and realistically the 17" starts to get a bit cumbersome.
    Well thats my story so far!
    I'm sure I will be back with more questions soon,
    Cheers

24. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    My refurb MBP ordered last Wednesday is still NOT HERE! UPS are doing there best to be completely useless and seem to have basically lost the package now.

Its been out for delivery Thurs/Fri/Sat and Today and its not made it yet. Thurs/Fri they blamed the weather depsite the fact that Fedex made a delivery to me on Friday and they are based on the same trading estate as UPS!

Just rang UPS up again and they told me because of the backlogs some packages are getting misplaced in the system and are showing up out for delivery when they are in fact not. She told me to let it settle down over the next few days! I asked if I could come and collect it tomorrow and was told no they have to make at least 1 attempted delivery first. Judging by how they are managing at the minute I'll be amazed if I ever the see the laptop at this rate as I can't take any more time off work to wait for it now.

25. rupert-hd

rupert-hd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Really sorry to hear that, that's not good at all.
    Not sure who delivered mine as I had I sent to work and I wasn't their when it arrived. Mine took less than 24 hours from order to delivery so sounds like they have really messed your order up.
    Always have my stuff sent to work now as there is always someone there and I hate chasing my parcel from depot to depot across town!!
    Hopefully you will get it sorted soon.
    Good luck

26. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I usually have stuff sent to work too, but when I ordered my MBP a few years to come to work, it came when I had already left and TNT refused to let anyone sign for it apart from me. I ended up having to drive an 80 mile round trip to the depot to pick it up!

Oh well, just worried about it being thrown in and out a van so many times.

Funny thing, just had a customer service email from Apple asking how my order went! HA! Not got it yet!

27. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Sorry to hear that Monopot. Mine is showing shipped to Middlesbrough GB for delivery tomorrow by UPS. Should be 2 seperate deliveries .Macbook Pro,and second package is software +timecapsule,rock guitar hero and other bits.
    Willbe in all day so we`l see if I`m luckier than you.:)

28. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Hope it turns up too!

Just rang UPS again to see what they would say this time and yep, they said "we'll try and delivery before 8pm". Funny I said everytime I ring you say half hour later. Oh well, it'll be the weekend before I see it at this rate.

My 500gb disk and 4gb ram turned up today though. Ordered both on Friday, one came City Link at 8am and the other Royal Mail. Puts UPS delivery abilities to shame that does.

EDIT: Gets better. Just checked the UPS system and it says THE PACKAGE WAS MISSED AT THE UPS FACILITY, UPS WILL DELIVER ON THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY. Guess I wasted a day of work then as they didn't even bother to load it on the truck. So much for the repeated "yes sir its on its way to you today". I hate courier companies!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  29. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    my 6 packets and macbook pro all arrived this afternoon . The only complaint was the white box for the Macbookpro was really dirty .Hope they haven`t been playing footy with it.:eek::eek::eek:

30. rupert-hd

rupert-hd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Glad you got it sorted, did they include ilife 09 in your delivery?