Buy a DS here or in the US?

televisionuser

Hello,

I'm flying out to the US tomorrow and also planning to buy a Nintendo DS. In the US they retail $130 (not including tax) and in the UK £100. However I can get one from Dixons at Heathrow for approx £85. What I want to know is if its worth saving £20 but with the risk of no warranty. How reliable is a NDS? Also is it multi voltage. Or can I just buy a new charger for whichever territory. Thanks.

b2sbailey

Hi,

Just got back from New York on Monday. Bought 2 black DS's for $129.99 (£64.35) each in the Nintendo World store. They came with a USA plug/charger. I will be getting a UK plug/charger off ebay.

Also bought 5 games at $29.99 (£14.84) each.

Fill Your Boots!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Flashy

I think I'm right in saying that you are liable to pay tax when you come back through customs. Assuming you do this, and with the cost of a new UK-compatible charger, the cost won't be much different to buying a UK DS here.

That's certainly the advice that's been offered when others have made similar threads to this one in the past. I don't know whether DSes still suffer from dead pixels and cracked hinges, but that's worth keeping in mind with regards to the warranty, or lack of it, potentially.

Please don't think I'm trying to put you off getting a US DS, I'm just putting across another point of view.

Games, on the other hand, are probably worth going for. The DS is region-free, so you can play any US games on a UK machine, and they are certainly cheaper out there - not to mention the fact that there are games released there months before they are here (assuming they are released here at all...).

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I think I'm right in saying that you are liable to pay tax when you come back through customs. Assuming you do this, and with the cost of a new UK-compatible charger, the cost won't be much different to buying a UK DS here.

If it was me I'd just leave the actual ds box behind, that way how can they prove you didn't just take it with you? It's a typical thing to take on hols after all, unlike a home console(which I know some people still take).

b2sbailey

If it was me I'd just leave the actual ds box behind, that way how can they prove you didn't just take it with you? It's a typical thing to take on hols after all, unlike a home console(which I know some people still take).

Exactly what I did.

A new UK charger costs £5.00 on Ebay.

sibeer

At only £20 more, buying in the UK is tempting just from a warranty point of view. I suppose it depends a bit on whether the system will be hammered or if it is for kids. I know things like the broken hinges are inherent faults, but I am sure they are less likely with the console being looked after by an adult who only plays it a few times a week.

sibeer

In fact, by the time you have spen £5 on a charger too, £70 to £85 isn't much difference. Just take to plunge here and don't worry about it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom