Buy a 70D now, or wait for a price crash?

hamd01

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After much deliberation, I have/had decided to pop for a 70d. It ticks all the boxes for me, and looks like a great upgrade for my aging 450d.

But...life never being simple n'all, I have just noticed they are about to release an 80d version...which is a direct upgrade of the 70d.

l dont really want to go much over £600... so....

1) Do I buy a 70d now
2) do I wait for a 70d price crash?
3) Do I pay some more and buy the 80d

Any helps appreciated.

The 80D is going to be at least a grand so it wouldn't just be slightly over budget.
I'm very happy with my 70D, does everything I need and was a decent upgrade over my 550D. You can get one under £600 if you don't mind an import from the likes of Panamoz etc

The 80d reviews dont look great...so I cant see the extra outlay being worth it. I think I will go with option 2, and wait for the 70d to drop in price and hope to snag a bargain.

If it were me, I would go for the 760D and it's well within your budget. I upgraded from a 450D to a 7D, but wished I had kept the 450D, it's a fantastic little camera. Looking back at my images, I find the ones from the 450D better in many respects than the 7D, in particular using vintage manual lenses. In fact, I am on the verge of selling my 7D, I hardly use it since getting my EOS-M.

OK,the 760D is a rebel, but so what, check the side-by-side comparison below...:)

Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review

Its a shame that the £75 cashback offer is limited to a number of retailers.....and all those retailers seem to be selling it for over £650. Best I have seen to so is £549 at HDEW...so thanks @CFC1

Retailers with much cheaper prices are stocking their goods from other territories and importing them into the UK (a.k.a. grey importing). This usually means they (or you) aren't paying the full amount of VAT and duty on the goods. That bothers some people and not others.

IME cashback offers are always limited to authorised resellers in the home territory. It allows the manufacturer and retailer to write down the full value of the goods as the sale price then the manufacturer reimburses the purchaser directly so the retail channel looks better on the books.
Manufacturers can also create a bubble of interest when sales are a bit more sluggish and keep stock moving.
Presumably a number of people don't claim the cashback and the manufacturer can withdraw the cashback restoring the original ticket price - something that would be difficult to achieve after a drop in the "real RRP".

The 80d reviews dont look great...so I cant see the extra outlay being worth it. I think I will go with option 2, and wait for the 70d to drop in price and hope to snag a bargain.

The 70D is great, got some reasonable pictures of a Kingfisher at ISO2000 last month.
As for the 80D ? I'm a bit cautious when it comes to new cameras, prefer to see how they get on in terms of user reviews and firmware updates. As I did with the 70D.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom