Buy a 2011 or wait for the 2012 models?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Ian Dudley, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    So, we're at that interesting time of the year when the last generation models are becoming end of line and therefore can be had for some great prices, but we don't yet know anything much about this year's sets.

On the one hand the 2011 models are now pretty much known beasts. They've been reviewed by the pros, and enough owners have them and have posted that the majority of issues have been discovered and assessed or fixed. Coupled with the clearance pricing available, this is very tempting.

On the other, there could be some great models round the corner and the same kit gets cheaper year on year. Ok, the lure of the upcoming models is the eternal risk for tech purchases, but it's particularly accute at this time of year.

Dilema! Which way are people inclined to go?

Personally, I'm thinking I'd rather have an older, but bigger and better screen for the money, especially as the 'advances' that are being talked about all seem to be based around 'Smart TV', something that I have no interest in at all, and can get from pretty much every device I own now if I do want it!.

Is there anything else tempting on the horizon though? Possibly around old fashioned stuff like picture quality maybe? :)

2. Dead5tar

Dead5tar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I wouldn't claim to be an expert but I often wonder how the PQ on my Sammy PS51D6900 could be improved upon, and, at the prices it can be had for now, I reckon it'll be hard to beat in 2012!

Having said that, even though I've only had it a month or so, I'll still be looking keenly at the new offerings :)

3. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Well I joked back in the summer of 11 that Id find an issue so I could get a 2012 set. The jokes on me though, I find a set thats as good as I wanted, yet alas, before the year was up, my wonderfull GT30 is now made woeful by the green splodge of doom. The set is simply stunning with HD but not sure I can live with this green tint to one side of the screen. If you can Id wait.

4. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I'm considering the Samsung PS59D6900. Being able to get such a well regarded set at 59" screen size for circa £1200 just seems too good an offer to pass up.

My concern is that if I wait for the 2012 models, the new equivalent will be only marginally better (Smart stuff I don't want or need), but priced more like £1600, while in the meantime the 2011 model has sold out. That £400 difference could get me a new amp and Blu Ray player as well! :)

5. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,879
    D-Nice general feeling towards the VT50 (this years new VT) has a very negative vibe.
    His last comment

'I have zero interest in the VT50.'

He hasnt said anything since but seeing as he gets to know alot about sets before most others its not a good sign.

I will keep my eyes open for more info from the US.

6. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Think hes a bit jaded with Panasonic now mate as are many calibrators. Im hoping Samsung take the crown this year, three strikes and Panasonic are out now with me.

7. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    A very good point, it'll be a long while before you get such good value I think.

8. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,879
    I think they will mate, while Panasonic have been stalling Samsung seem to have come on leaps and bounds.
    Then again LG maybe the dark horse and shock us all. :)

9. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    LG??:laugh:...:rotfl::rotfl::smashin:....ehum...man nearly wet meself then.....mind you stranger things can happen, look at the kids we elected bless em.

10. Razoola

Razoola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I really wanted to get a VT30 this year but given the issues with that set I'm real glad I waited (money burning hole in poctet still). This means I will be waiting for the VT50 as a first choice. I'm not really looking for many new features but if it fixes the 50hz issues, fluctuating brightness and green blobs and tinges over picture I will be happy with it.

11. deon444

deon444
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    Well i will be waiting for next years sets but will be buying one this time next year,wont be rushing out to buy one as it gets released.

It may not even be a plasma,may take a shine to a led from Sony or Samsung depending on how they have sorted out issues which have plagued led tv.

My Vt30 is not a keeper due to its issues and size as im looking for a bigger set than my 50.

Willing to give panny another go so im looking forward to see what they come up with.

Wanna set where im gonna keep for at least 3 years.

12. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,879
    You watch LG Kuro to arrive at CES :rotfl:
    Or there 55" OLED will be at a price we can pay then we will all be happy. :D

13. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    :laugh:
    mmmmm O L E D.....shame its going to cost a fortune and likely have all sorts of issues.

My hopes are now pinned on Samsung, though I need a 46".

Stranger things can happen though, thinking Sharp Elite?:eek: To be honest I dont care who makes the thing, I just want a 46" like my GT30 without the extra green....maybe Panasonics following Sharp with the extra yellow? Mind you Pnaasonic you could at least add it to the whole screen! sheesh!

14. barryd

barryd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I am also in the same boat thinking is it time to buy a samsung 64d8000 or 59d6900 as prices are good or wait? Have got the refund from my faulty samsung 63c7000 burning a hole in my pocket! As i understand the CES show is on Jan 10th where samsung etc will show off there new models, so until then i am holding fire!:)

15. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +885
    Im in the very same dilemma as you but I have come to decide that getting a 2011 is where it makes sense and this is how I've come to the conclusion.

As you say, the d6900 is nearly a year old and has reduced by about £3-400 max since it was first released which considering it IS nearly a year old isnt bad going really. Now in realism what exactly COULD samsung and others present at CES this year? In reality, my 4 year old LCD looks great to me and if it wasnt a mear 40" Id probably be keeping it, but alas time changes and I've decided to upgrade- the point in this though is that I have no doubt if I looked into it, my tv probably had recorded issues and problems, but do I notice any of them currently? No. The colours and sharpness of it I still find fantastic so this begs the question-

Outside of more techy additions which lets be honest are worthless- what exactly could manufacturers add?! Ok they may be able to marginally improve the PQ- but, lets be honest, unless your eyesight is a pure as a new born babys or you get a hard on looking at calibrated graphs, are you REALLY going to notice such a minimal change??

As for faults, lets be realistic. With manufacturers so keen to continue to push "new" things which are more meaningless, rather than get the absolute pinicle of picture perfection, we will not see the sort of "visual perfection" we saw years ago in the Kuros and frankly I doubt we ever will. Its all about staying competitive currently, so whilst this drive remains there will always be a fight of cost of parts vs performance- and lets not forget, theyre STILL working on new technologies (4k, and glasses free 3d)- thats where their money is at and R&D, not getting rid of that last bit of line bleed, or getting the blackest of all blacks so that you can buy a meter and hold it to it and show your friends "look, this 0.002 reading means my black level is lower than this other model" as lets be honest in the grand scheme of things, who REALLY cares? The mass market certainly doesnt.

So, its basically a question of do you save £3-400 by buying a set now being fully aware of current issues that in the most part could be fixed by firmware, or do you spend £3-400 more in 3 months time on a new set only to find new issues or to have the latest and greatest tech which will once again be superseeded the following year.

For me, its the saving. I can put that £3-400 to something else so thats more attractive than anything the new model can offer me (unless by some miracle CES shows 4k is suddenly going to be available at £1500 in a 55" set with amazing pq).

So there are my thoughts :)

16. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    IMO buy and tried and tested 2011 model now at a bargain price.

17. El_MUERkO

El_MUERkO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I think in terms of picture quality we'll be looking at an evolution not revolution from Samsung this year, any time there's a big jump in PQ you tend to hear the rumours on here long before CES, my guess is the big seller for this year will be upgraded SmartTV and/or GoogleTV.

GoogleTV is no longer reliant on expensive, hot, power hungry Intel chips and Samsung do like their googles.

Our other room is in need of an upgrade and I looked long an hard at the 59D6900 but I'm going to hold out for it's 2012 equivalent.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  18. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I am waiting for 2012 - I did try this year with the VT30 but after having a couple of 55VT30s and then a 65VT30 all with issues (55 buzzing & green tint, 65 green tint) I gave up. It was too much hassle and I couldnt risk being stuck with a TV that I couldnt deal with due to issues that Panasonic kept telling me were within spec!

I will be watching CES with alot of interest to see whats planned for Q1/Q2 this year from all the manafacturers.

19. fluxo

fluxo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    CES runs from Jan 10-13, so this will
    be a more interesting question in a little
    over one week's time. It's obviously a bit
    hard to compare a known model with one
    we know next to nothing about.

If you do like deduction and guessing games,
    you may find the following of interest:

http://panasonic.net/ir/presentation/pdf/20111031_e.pdf

20. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +885
    I've actually only just seen this

Samsung releases CES 2012 teaser, hints at upcoming Smart TV products (video) - Engadget

Also the fact they have already made a point of 3d back in 2010 so its not related to that either.

Its clearly marketed as the future of SMART tv, but what more can they really offer apart from a built in pvr?

EDIT:

wait, ive answered my own question

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/ces-2012-samsung-lg-present-55-oled-tvs-n22155.html

However, i think this article broke it down better:

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-ces-2012-teaser-video-promises-smart-tv-future-22204282/

Im inclided to agree- Samsung seem to be implying that their 2012 sets will be more sort of "family engaging". This can only really be smart tv focussed but I dont see what more could really be added to assist this but I guess only time will tell! It does appear to hint strongly that its tablet/smartphone tv focussed but as you can already do this I dont see what more they can do?

Either way in their plasma range it doesnt sound like it will be any form of leap and bound improvement given they will be annoucing their 55" OLED set

Im still waiting to hear back on a final price match from John Lewis so I think I can hold off until next week to see what the crack is.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  21. jimmya200

jimmya200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Apparently panasonics 2012 3D glasses will work via Bluetooth. The new TV's will not be compatible with the current glasses.

22. HammerOfJustice

HammerOfJustice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm curious about this as well...I had a VT30 but had IR issues with it so I returned it and got a Samsung D8000 (LED not plasma) and it's terrible so I was considering giving the VT30 another shot. However, after reading multiple posts this week about people being jaded with Panasonic plasmas, I am curious if I should even give the VT30 another shot. Would it be worth it to order another or just keep playing on this crappy little Toshiba LCD I have until something else comes out?

23. TranceFan

TranceFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    How about the Samsung d8000 plasma? Im very fussy about picture quality and its mint on my 64".

24. BJQ1972

BJQ1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
  25. HammerOfJustice

HammerOfJustice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah I'm the same way...this Samsung is the third tv I've bought and am now returning. It has a horrible buzzing and the PQ is terrible on game mode, which is required to get acceptable input lag response times. I really would like to stay with Panasonic but I don't want to have issues with another set and then not be able to return it.

26. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,879
    +1 and I love gaming on my beast too.
    In fact tonight its MW3 slaughter fest for me...thats right I'm going to die many many times :laugh:

27. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469

Well not had a VT30 but my GT30 was fantastic til the green splodge decided to say hi. The issue seems to vary a lot from one set to another.
    Im still thinking if I should try another its that good, try a D8000 plasma or get a 2012 set.

28. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    This post is misleading, are talking about a Samsung D8000 LED TV in a plasma forum? or are you talking about the Plasma D8000?

IMO the D8000 Plasma I have has superb PQ in game mode with no input lag whatsoever, it's identical to gaming on the GT30.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  29. HammerOfJustice

HammerOfJustice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with you wholeheartedly on that...there is a big variation from set to set. We have a 50 inch VT25 at work and it's on more than 8 hours a day, displaying static images most of that time. There's no hint of IR or burn in and it's one of the best looking sets I've ever seen.

I really want to give the VT30 another shot because it was so great when I had it, save for the IR issues, but I don't want to get it and then have issues after my return period is up at the same time.

30. HammerOfJustice

HammerOfJustice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In my previous post I said it was the D8000 LED. Haven't had a chance to see the D8000 plasma in person yet but it may be a viable option if I don't decide to get another VT30. Good to hear the gaming performance is great though, as that's my main purpose for it.