buy 2nd hand or new... 4-5 year improvements... worth it?

jq74

Novice Member
buy new or second hand...... that is the question. So is there much difference between a top of the line LCD from a few years ago e.g. a Sony KDL-55HX853 versus say a newer 55 inch TV that would now cost say around £800 now.

which would be better the newer or the older model (that would have been say £2k a few years ago.)

jq74

Novice Member
anyone? is it worth spending c.£500 on a 2nd hand KDL-55HX853 or better to just buy a new 55" Sony for around £800 with warranty etc...

Spenty 2

Standard Member
I'd personally buy something I knew was covered for 5+ years or know I had the ability to return it if it wasn't up to scratch.

When buying 2nd hand people can do things to hide flaws in the panel when you view it, or you don't spend enough time to see them.

Old Bones

I'd personally buy something I knew was covered for 5+ years or know I had the ability to return it if it wasn't up to scratch.

Totally. Buying second hand is fine if your paying an appropriate amount, but £500 on a 3 year old TV is a bit of a risk. Yes, it might still have 2 years warrenty left on it, but you dont know how its been handled, etc.

The TV is question was a high level model, a niche which doesn't exist any more, because 4K has moved into that price bracket. However, a mid level 55in is around about £850 at the moment. You could wait to see what they float down to, because prices will be keen in the next couple of months.

If I was after a 2nd hand Sony TV, then I'd go for the W905 series (2013), which was simply the best Full HD TV I've seen - amazing blacks. But the price/warrenties have to be right.

Or see what a reduced to clear TV might offer - something might pop up at a good price.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom