ButtKicker LFE and the Nearfield Subwoofer Project

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by mkohman, Feb 14, 2018.

1. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Hey Guys,

Now that I have completed my Mini Marty Build and integrated it into my system (I love that subwoofer ;)) , I wanted to totally complete my setup with a few extras that I hope will add to the whole experience...

Basically, I have always had my eye on the ButtKicker LFE, however it would have meant that I would have needed to purchase the dedicated power amp to power it which would have added to the overall cost..

Fast forward on to today...now that I have a spare channel on the inuke 6000dsp, it only makes sense to make use of it ;) (i.e either with a ButtKicker or a nearfild subwoofer).

This project will be a work in progress for a couple of months I think as and when finance situation permits... The plan is to first integrate the Buttkicker LFE to intergrate into my setup and work along with the Mini Marty / Dayton Ultimax 18" subwoofer combination for a while and then add a nearfield subwoofer behind my sofa to give me that final punch in the chest feel from behind the sofa :)

For the nearfield subwoofer I have been speaking with @Biga6761 who is doing some research into which driver and size (thank you :)) will be best suitable and more of that will come to light in the near future as and when we decide which route to take..

Finally, yesterday I ordered the ButtKicker LFE from partsexpress.com (USA) and including delivery vat and tax it has come to a total of £258.00 and should be with me sometime next week.

In the meantime, I have ordered 38mm x 25mm rubber feet (x16) to install under my corner sofa and also Vandamme Blue Series Pro 2x2.5mm speaker cables along with speakon connection.. I will run both wires for the ButtKicker and the nearfield subwoofer just to have them ready to hand.

During this week/weekend when the rubber feet arrive, I will flip the sofa upside down and screw in the rubber feet. I will also unstaple the sofa (middle seat area/MLP) and screw in a very dense hard board in preperation for when the ButtKicker LFE arrives..

I will try to keep this thread alive and will update with pictures as and when I have more information and more to add.. I hope this thread will assist others who are in the same or similar position as me and as always, I always welcome and appreciate any advice and tips along the way you may have to offer.. Thank you :)

The ButtKicker order confirmation:
    upload_2018-2-14_20-42-34.jpeg

The rubber feet which will be screwed onto the bottom of sofa:
    upload_2018-2-14_20-43-15.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    Be interested how you get on. I could never get mine dialled in to my satisfaction. I had the Buttkicker amp too which had very limited eq, basically LPF and that's it. With the Inuke you should be able to tweak it much more. The combination of your sub and the Buttkicker should be a very tactile experience!

There a few NF subs that are cheap and have been used by a few of us on here to good effect. Me and @Ringnut have a pair of JBL CS1214 for example.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  3. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Hey @markymiles thank you or your input. Indeed with the inuke it should be slightly more flexible and I hope we can get it dialled in correctly.. I am after a subtle integration just to get that feel with the subwoofer from the ButtKicker as well in sync. That's the plan anyway lol :)

Regarding nearfield I am not sure yet because I have a slightly tight gap to work with behind my sofa. I can only compensate around 10 inches depth but height and width isn't much of an issue.. so I think I will go with a single 15" ... Do you know of any threads that you can point me at so that I can have a read through please? Thanks :)

4. richardsim7

richardsim7
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    I'd wait until you have the buttkicker dialed in before you start building a nearfield sub, you may find you don't need it. Plus, won't you then have to buy another amp? :p

5. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    I'll see what I can find. By comparison there's not so many cheap 15" drivers as far as I'm aware. That's why some people do multiples of 12's.

Obviously if cost doesn't come into the equation then you can go as big as you like. Gives you more ULF potential. I have never found mine lacking though and in fact have them quite low in volume compared to my front subs. Given how close to you they are spending a fortune isn't entirely necessary. But then bass does give rise to excess, such as @mattkhan dual UXL-18's NF's :devil:.

6. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Completely agree ... That's why I stated in the first post it will be a work in progress.. So basically if I feel once the ButtKicker is installed and I am happy with what it all feels like then as you say there may not be any need for a nearfield. The ButtKicker is definitely happening but the nearfield is yet to be confirmed :) Thanks @richardsim7

7. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Thank you @markymiles do you have any pics you could add on this thread for ref please? It would be good for me and others who may be considering a similar build .. :)

8. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
  9. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    Like Richard suggests, could be that you don't need both NF and the buttkicker. What the NF could do though is help smooth the overall sub response which the buttkicker won't.

10. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,516
  11. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
  12. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Thanks for the links @markymiles.. For sure.. The nearfield may or may not happen depending on once the buttkicker is installed.. I will pull the cable through behind the skirting though incase I will go ahead because I need to remove the skirting again for the buttkicker anyway [emoji37]...

13. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,516
    no I use a pair of UXL-18, Alpine Type R are meant to be solid drivers

14. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    a pair of UXL-18 ... very impressive.. is that what you use as your subs or as nearfields? Thanks..

15. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,516
  16. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Following this with interest. I bought a ButtKicker Advance a few years ago, spent many frustrating hours trying to set it up and gave up in the end.

I still want one though. I think the model and amp I bought had a design fault, so stepping up to the LFE might well solve that.

17. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Yesterday evening I had some time.. So I managed to flip the sofa over and open up the cover to find a good spot to mount the ButtKicker...

My sofa is a huge corner sofa and it comes in 3 parts which lock into each other.. Last night I separated all 3 parts and installed the rubber feet on all the legs..

I used 13 rubber feet in total.. Looking at the picture attached there is a triple layer plywood right in the middle but I need to mount the ButtKicker on a board which is horizontal to my seat not vertical so I will cut a plywood board and screw it in somehow in the next few days..

I also had to remove the skirting board which hides the current cables under it in a channeled section of the wall and install 2 x new cables.. (1 for the ButtKicker and the other for the nearfield subwoofer).. I then screwed on the speakon connection on the amp end for the ButtKicker in preparation for when it arrives next week.

The cleaning up was the hardest part lol :) I re fillered the screw holes on the skirting board and today I'll give them a light sand and quick paint and will all be back to as before... [emoji106] IMG_20180216_170627310.jpg IMG_20180216_170634993.jpg IMG_20180216_190928918.jpg IMG_20180216_190935824.jpg IMG_20180216_190943782.jpg IMG_20180216_191002726.jpg

18. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    I use buttkickers and have a heavy sofa. I’ve got 3 of them on a platform that the sofa sits on. Hopefully one will be enough for you but don’t be surprised if you feel you need more. If you have them in the sofa (how i had them at first) you feel the vibration is a lot more localised, if you build a platform the entire sofa moves which is quite a lot better to be honest. They are really good though as long as you don’t have them turned up too much. If people make comment about the sofa vibrating, they’re too high. When they’re right you should just feel like big bass moments are incredibly powerful. Good luck!

19. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Thank you @swiftpete unfortunately the platform situation will not be possible in my circumstances but great tip [emoji106].. I will have to do with 1 which will be enough for me I hope. It's not a dedicated room and 90% is used by myself so I'm guessing 1 ButtKicker under my main seat should be fine.. Yes I agree, I am not after sofa flying up and down effect lol.. I just want a very subtle vibration when it is necessary.. I guess once its all in place I would have to fine tune it to my personal taste.. Thanks for the input.. Any tips on how to mount it internally in the sofa with pics? Thanks [emoji4][emoji106]

20. richardsim7

richardsim7
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    Aw man, now I'm thinking I want to build a platform for my sofa in my new room...

21. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Well you have to do what you can with what you have. A buttkicker is a lot better than no buttkicker!

I do have some pics of my install somewhere but won’t really help you much cos it’s a different sofa. I just got some 4x1 timber, bolted the buttkickers to it and then screwed them into place across a couple of supports inside. Then I connected the speaker cable and had that coming out the back of the sofa. Not much to it really.

I have my buttkickers playing up to 40hz and thats plenty, they only go off for the low bass then. They are great for infrasonic stuff, when you get yours wired up make sure you watch war of the worlds, that has loads of extremely low bass and is a treat with the buttkickers.

22. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Do it! It is dead easy. I used some 25mm mdf, cut them to the size of the sofa, routed the edges to make them round, then sprayed them black. I screwed the feet into one of the boards and then put that on top of the other so the rubber feet were sandwiched between the two boards and then sat the sofa on top.
    Not much to it you just have to make sure the rubber feet you get are not so soft that they squash down to nothing with the sofa on top, otherwise the buttkickers won’t do anything. When I shake the sofa from side to side with my hand it wobbles. It is really cheap and easy to make a platform.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  23. richardsim7

richardsim7
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    Got any pics? :D

So you still isolate the sofa with rubber feet even on its own platform?

24. richardsim7

richardsim7
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    @mkohman am I right in thinking you want to mount the buttkicker horizontally? I think I read that you're better off mounting it vertically

What I did was add a piece of wood between 2 parts of my sofa and mount the buttkicker to that

25. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    @richardsim7, if you look at post #17 in picture 5 and 6 you can see 3 pieces of plywood which is coming from the top to the bottom of the seating area.. I was thinking of mounting on this but I was advised to mount it on a board which is horizontal to my seat which means the ButtKicker itself will be vertical when place on the board but the board itself would be horizontal if that makes sense ... :)

26. richardsim7

richardsim7
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    Yup makes sense to me. I thought you were going to mount it directly to where you are pointing, therefore the buttkicker would be "firing" horizontally. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, by all means, experiment with both if you can, I just think it's buttkicker themselves who recommend a vertical installation

27. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    I will take some pics at some point.

No don’t isolate the sofa, that just sits on the platform. The platform is basically two boards with rubber feet sandwiched between the two boards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  28. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Did the Buttkicker arrive? I am looking forward to seeing how you get on with this.

Your thread almost inspired me to pull the trigger on a Buttkicker LFE as well, but I was a bit worried about the 400W minimum power requirement. My 300W BK amp seems to work fine, so I didn't want the expense of a new amp as well as the Buttkicker.

Instead, I tried to get my BK Advance working with some success. I took it apart and sprayed some White Lithium Grease in there as advised on another forum. That really reduced the rattling, but it was still there. I took it apart again and added some extra padding in the top and the bottom and this seems to have solved the problem. It now only bottoms out when it is turned up too much, rather than all of the time as before.

The only problem is that it seems very slow and inaccurate now and I don't know if that is due to the extra padding. I'll have to experiment over the weekend

29. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Hi @daveb975 , sorry for the late reply.. been busy all day.. Unfortunately I am still waiting for the ButtKicker to arrive. It has been exactly 10 days since I placed the order and usually this is the correct time scale for delivery as my Ultimax was delivered to me exactly 10 days after placing the order. My guess would be either tomorrow or Monday, so stay tuned for an update early next week :) Thanks for subscribing and I hope to post an update soon :) ..

Meanwhile, I have all the rubber isolation feet installed under the entire corner sofa and also all cables are in place, ready for connection and setting up on it's arrival :)

30. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Finally an update [emoji106] Screenshot_20180224-182713.jpg