But is it in HD?

WibXL

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Who needs a 42" plasma when you can have something like this? They get all of the best stuff in Japan:)

I was going to post this in the Wii forum but as it's more to do with the TV than the Wii I decided to post here instead but please move if you think it's not right for here.

How? And why?

I suppose it's just a small LCD screen from a handheld TV with all of the connections hidden around the back, as for the why I haven't got a clue.

Quite some years ago now the US military were using 1 inch tv screens with 4000 line resolution - (yes four thousand).

Quite some years ago now the US military were using 1 inch tv screens with 4000 line resolution - (yes four thousand).
Can the human eye resolve that level of detail on a 1" screen?

What did they use them for?

I can see them being used in some sort of Ghost-Recon style heads-up display if they were translucent, or for real-time satellite maps or something. Just guessing though.

Didn't think of that as straight away I started thinking what's the point of having that resolution if you're going to need a magnifying glass to see it but as a part of a system like those goggles you can get which have tiny LCD screens but when you use them it looks like you're watching a huge floating screen it makes sense.

Built in displays in helmet - avionics stuff. screen was set up to be viewed very close the eye so although a 1 inch screen a full field of view - hence the detail.

Wonder how long it'll take to filter down in to consumer gear.

Military spec stuff is nuts the Apache helicopter pilots monocle is similar and the PJ they use for the simulator that can project 4000:3000 res and behind the lens! wrap around projection!!! There was a thing ages ago where the JAps have a competition in miniturisation and they were building a car and some Australians built a 0.2" full working car (nearly 10 years ago) http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9711/22/micro.car/index.html

Military spec stuff is nuts the Apache helicopter pilots monocle is similar and the PJ they use for the simulator that can project 4000:3000 res and behind the lens! wrap around projection!!! There was a thing ages ago where the JAps have a competition in miniturisation and they were building a car and some Australians built a 0.2" full working car (nearly 10 years ago) http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9711/22/micro.car/index.html

Nice quote towards the end of that link.

Neither the speed -- nor the size -- would be sufficient for a human driver, but that doesn't bother scientists.

I'd have thought that went without saying really.

Wonder how long it'll take to filter down in to consumer gear.

it won't - it was available to the military years ago and hasn't filtered yet. TV standards would have to change a LOT to get this in a consumer product.

it won't - it was available to the military years ago and hasn't filtered yet. TV standards would have to change a LOT to get this in a consumer product.

Shame, it'd be nice in some sort of VR headset but it'd take a very meaty PC to output at that res.

High resolution small CRTs in viewfinders have been around for decades . This is nothing fancy.

High resolution small CRTs in viewfinders have been around for decades . This is nothing fancy.

It's fancy to me but then again I'm easily impressed at times:)

Nice quote towards the end of that link.

I'd have thought that went without saying really.

that made me laugh as well :laugh:

impressive stuff all the same

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom