But how do I set it up right

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Cassandra, May 3, 2007.

1. Cassandra

Cassandra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks to some excellent recommendations from this forum, I've had a BK XLS200 Mk II (DF, but I doubt that matters) to complement my Arcam Solo and Epos M12.2 speakers for a while now. The sound is excellent and I regard it as money well spent.

My problem is that I can't seem to get it set up right, in that occasionally bass voices on the radio come across kind of weird and booming. If I set it so this doesn't happen, I seem to lose a lot of the bass sound.

In truth, I know not what I am doing with the many knobs and have settled for "fiddle until it sounds more or less right" using a couple of test albums (Massive Attack's "Mezzanine" and Ani DiFranco's "Little Plastic Castle", in case anyone cares) which both make extensive use of the low end of the frequency spectrum.

Is there a more scientific way to do the job?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Are you using a subwoofer output on the Arcam?

If so, set the BK crossover to bypass and play some tunes you know well which have some discernable bass of some kind. Dance music is a poor choice as the bass is synthesised so it's hard to pick the "right" level - we're not after depth or overall "inyerface" volume in the setup stage but getting the balance between sub and speakers right. With this music on tweak the gain setting on the sub until there is a nice integration to your speakers - you can check this with a sine sweep such as that on the THX optimiser which you probably have on a DVD somewhere (ideally the volume shouldn't change as it crosses over to the sub).

Don't worry about the phase until you've got the rest right and even then it probably won't make any obvious difference. :)

3. Cassandra

Cassandra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, although I understood that this was another line level output and didn't specifically do any filtering of its own. Did I get that wrong?

I'm not sure I do, and DVDs won't play in the Solo anyway (although theoretically I can run a DVD off my Optoma DV10 projector. Problem is I can't figure out a way to turn off the darn speakers on the DV10 since the volume seems to affect the audio out anyway, so that's not good for determining a correct balance for the stereo system. I suppose I could switch the Solo to the low (speaker) input and plug the Optoma directly into the subwoofer, but really I'd prefer the Solo to be doing all of the audio processing, since my setup will produce way better sound than the Optoma's built in speakers.) Anyway, that all got rather tangential, and I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not sure where I'd get such a beast.

My own experience suggests it makes little to no difference.

4. Cassandra

Cassandra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I have had a similar problem to you in the past and finally came to the conclusion that it was due to my room. This is typical of having a room node that causes bass overhang at a certain frequency - in my case at around 50Hz. You will get some tracks that happen to use heavy bass at the frequency in question and it is totally overpowering - so you turn down the bass. Then you play something that doesn't have heavy bass at that frequency and all the bass is gone.

Tried the same procedure myself and got nowhere - and you won't. I paid £575 for and SMS-1. This does a frequency sweep and will identify any bass peaks in the room. I managed to eliminate them by tweaking crossover settings, phases, volumes and sub/speaker positions and got a full refund when I returned the SMS-1! It is a good piece of kit but I could achieve close to the results it could with no EQ required! You can achieve similar with a well calibrated MIC and some Room Equalistaion software (I think I downloaded from the software from Home Theater Shack).