Busting - Original MGM Motion Picture Soundtrack CD Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 14th June 2010.
God, this is cool!

Folks, I've waited a long, long time for this score to see an official release and now that it is finally here, it doesn't disappoint. Kritzerland play a blinder with their presentation of Billy Goldenberg's Busting. My own peculiar fascination, indeed obsession, with this film and especially its score may provide some bias, but there is no mistaking the amazing talent that the composer showed so vividly in his musical depiction of the sleazy nature of the job that Keneely and Farrel have to do, or the wild, no-holds-barred era in which they operate. That sinewy 70's vibe is heavily intoxicating throughout, but, hands-down, it is the action and suspense cues that make this score so damn classic.

Taking on Lalo Schifrin at his own game was not something that many composers of the period would attempt to do, but Billy Goldenberg proved that he had the necessary balls and the totally unmistakable connection with the scene to "get down" with the best of them and, when called for, to explode the format like a rolling napalm strike.

That chase cue is utterly amazing. It made a huge impact on me when I was a kid, and it is still an unstoppable missile even now. As I said earlier, this score would be worth the money even if it only contained that one track, but there is so much else to commend Goldenberg's Busting – from its grinding sass to its haunting electronica – that I just have to recommend that soundtrack fans get a-hold of this as soon as possible and by any means necessary. If you loved the score to Dirty Harry, then you will love this just as much. At the time of writing, the usual suppliers of Intrada and Screen Archives (at FSM) still have copies left. Bust a gut to get one!

Read the full review...

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom