1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

busted VCR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by weezul, Jan 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. weezul

weezul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, i have a V752UK Toshiba VCR and well its really messed up.

All the buttons on the front dont work, and it forgets the time staight after i put it in. Also, it does not output sound..

The Rec button does channel up, On/Off ejects a tape, and Channel Up acts as power. Also, it does not output anything out of its RF out (which i use as i am out of Scart Inputs on my TV)

also when the Eject Button is held, TEST appears on the LCD screen. Its only been used once and well its my dads and he sed dont break it when i put my gamecube in it, and the next day i discover the VCR is bust so he will blame me so i wanna see if i can fix it without his knowing. lol

thanks in advace
    wzl

ps. sorry lynxi never noticed! lol

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Moooving :)

3. vegnomeat

vegnomeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    weezel you ever get this fixed, I have the same problem, trying to find out how to enter the service menu, I think it may be a common problem. Have found other users suffering the same but not a fix yet, will post here if I do

Wayne

4. weezul

weezul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so i am not the only one. thanks i wair for solution...

5. wayne

wayne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have emailed Toshiba direct, will let you know what happens

Isn't it the strangest problem

Wayne

6. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A bit technical this,here we go. 1.Press the "Sw713"button on main pcb,lcd should read TEST. 2.Press the "MENU" button on remote for 5 seconds until option setting appears (looks like a grid of numbers). 3.Using "CURSOR" buttons on remote,input these numbers-3,4,5,6,8,9,10,11,12,14,15,17,18,25,26,29,33,39,40,41,46,49,50,52,53,60,61,62,63,72.(Press ok to highlight). 4.Press "MENU" 5.Power down to store. Check operation and play tape.If picture is fuzzy at the bottom then- 1.Press the "SW713" button (TEST),then 5. 2.Press TEST again then LP/SP. 3.Power down to store. Note-May have to short SW718 if no TEST appears This is a common fault on toshiba`s and sonys with a samsung memory chip.Codes for V-752UK only.Front panel will need to be removed.

7. wayne

wayne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doctorb

You are a freakin genius, a genius , what more can I say, superb, you can have my first born child.

If I can add (and in no way detract from your performance) you need a tape in the machine and I needed to press eject to get the test lcd to light in my instance.

Thanks

Wayne Ballinger

we are not worthy

8. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You really only need to put in a tape to play to check the head switching,if tape plays ok then skip the second sequence.If TEST comes up,press the menu button for 5 secs-you have to be quick before TEST disappears.If i remember correctly,the TEST button is second button to the right of the lcd,its the button without a lever on front panel that presses it.If your getting TEST already,try pressing menu.You may have to connect by scart as RF channel may have been lost.Hope that helps.

9. wayne

wayne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was perfect, it's working just fine now.

What makes these machines play up like this and how did you find out the fix

Wayne

10. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Usually due to a power cut or surge that corrupts the NVM (non-volatile memory).Worth getting a surge protector because it may happen again--least you know what to do now! I work as an installer/engineer for an AV repair company and when common faults arise and are worth doing in the field,i`m given the details.This fault seems to effect the toshiba`s more but have seen faulty sony`s and had the first samsung last week.

11. weezul

weezul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    . 1.Press the "Sw713"button on main pcb

i have to take the cover off?
    o well i can get test on the screen so ill try it from there

12. weezul

weezul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OMG YOUR ARE DA BOMB I CANT BELIEVE IT

YOUR ARE GOD

13. weezul

weezul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    k one more thing, i sorted it out as i said but i have the head problem also, and to get to the test button again, do i just take off the cover, then the front pannel to get to the hidden test button?

thanks,

Wzl

14. wayne

wayne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    front panel just unclips and the button is visible

15. KHEPHRI

KHEPHRI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had the same problem the service engineer said it was a fault with this model; if the video is on and there is a power cut, or unplugged from the wall without being switched off at the wall. Have had it repaired two times ( they just reset the chip)before sending it back for refund

16. weezul

weezul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok cheers all, this forum rules

17. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Toshiba are now supplying an upgraded processor to cure the nvm memory loss fault.Probably only worth doing if under warranty.

18. weezul

weezul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok i bring this thread back up as the problem has occoured again today due to a thunderstorm, so incase anyone else has the same problem in the UK today due to storms, this just oculd be your miracle cure

:)

19. Jorp

Jorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. Tonygee

Tonygee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thread helpd me out no end - I have a Toshiba V652Uk model which suffered the same fate as weezul's V752UK model, and using the links in this thread found the similar answers for my model. Two points worth a mention:

a) The fixes for the other models in the same Toshiba series (V642UK,etc) can be found at this link by searching under "Toshiba" and "Video Recorders". http://www.eserviceinfo.com/

b) When performing the fix on the video recorder, to switch the unit into "Test" mode, I pressed the "A.DUB" button on the remote for 10 seconds, rather than take the front panel off the unit. This saves dismantling it.

Anyway, this thread has saved my unit, and like weezul, I am very grateful for Doctorb for sharing his knowledge. :thumbsup: