Busted Phillips DVDr890

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by clarkyb, Oct 29, 2005.

1. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi, i did this to my player about 1 year ago and just thought id try and get it working again, anyway i put a region free code in it using the phillips remote to play the reg 1 dvd's i had, it wouldnt play the reg 1's so i then put another region free code in and it was totally buggered, so i put the reset hack in and got it back to how it was origionally, reg 2 only, stupid me then put in another reg 1 code and now the player wont play anything other than cd's and dvd's recorded on the player (the recording feature still works perfectly though) so no actual movies can be played. so i tried the reset hack again and it dint work- still buggered so i tried the rc6 code and that wouldnt work eithe, so i bought a sony dvd recorder that was already multiregion :smashin: r- so is there a way i could reflash the bios of the dvd player (if its anything like a pc) or would new firmware sort out the problem? please help, alternatively if nothing else can sort it ill just flog it on ebay to some idiots :devil: lol

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Updating the firmware of the DVDR8x0 series won't change the region restrictions.

What were these codes that you put in?

You should be able to change the code about 25 times using the usual handset hack method. Before attempting to apply the hack, did you remember to change the menu setting of the DVDR to receive signals from the remote as a DVD player?

3. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    i dont know what codes, just region free codes i put in a long time ago and yes i did change the remote settings ;) what happens if you use the code more than 25 times? because i might of gone a bit overboard with the region codes :oops:

4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    As far as I'm aware you cannot change the region coding with the standard Philips remote as it requires a RC6 command that the Philips is incapable of outputting.

What you require is a All for One remote with a *Magic* button. Worked for me :)

5. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    then you're stuck with it

6. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    i used a all4one remote and did the rc6 code

7. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You can certainly use the remote, up to 25 times. It doesn't use the RC6 method, but Service Mode.

The RC6 method has no restriction on useage.

You're not "stuck with it". Have a look here for reliable instructions.

Edit: Use the information in the section for "All Philips DVD players" (the first link). It will work for recorders as well.

8. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    thanks, ill try this code tomorrow, fingers crossed it'l work :smashin:

9. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100

Did bugger all for me using the Philips remote. Looked like it was doing something but actually did nowt....... now I come to think of it, it may have changed regions but certainly did not make it multi-region.