Busted AE speaker? Or is it the amp?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cornishgiant, Feb 20, 2013.

1. cornishgiant

cornishgiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    My AV amp (oldish Harmon Kardon one which I bought here) recently decided to have a fit and lose all of it's settings. Have got it set up again and am now getting a really weedy sound from voices. I can't put my finger on it, it just isn't right.

I've titted about with all of the settings on the amp and can't seem to get it back as it was.

So, I took the cover off of the centre Speak (Acoustic Energy Neo Centre) and there seems to be more sound to the right than the left. If I put my thumb on the right cone it significantly changes the sound, however if I do the same with the left it makes no difference. The left cone is moving but I'm wondering if that is just passive, caused by the air pressure change of the other speaker?

Anyway, do you think I have a busted driver? Can't see any material defects with the cone itself.

Could it have been caused by the amp 'having a mental' when it reset itself? Or could the 'centre' part of the amp have lost the plot?

Any ideas??

(Either way I'm pretty disappointed, I like my (relatively) cheapo set up and due to the missing banging out the babies funds for a replacement are not abundant!)

Attached Files:

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    If just one driver is not working, it could be just an internal wire that has come adrift. Whip the drivers out and swap them over. The connections will be push on spade terminals, so easy to change over.

If the fault moves, you know it is the speaker, but if it stays, it is the wiring, Best case is having re-seated it all, it all bursts into life!

3. cornishgiant

cornishgiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Oh right! Any idea how I remove the drivers? Never done anything like that!

4. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    Just undo the 4 screws on the front and they will pop out!

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Before you do that, put the Center speaker on another amp, or put it on one of the current amps Front Channels. This will help verify that the speaker does or doesn't sound right.

As to the bass drivers. We really don't know if this is a 2-way, meaning woofer and tweeter, or if it is a 2.5-way - low-bass, mid-bass, tweeter.

In a 2.5-way speaker, both drivers are playing up to say about 150hz, then one driver stops and the other carries on up to the tweeter crossover.

I have a graphic of a 3.5-way system. The thing to notices is the Low-Bass driver (Bass-1) runs in parallel with the Mid-Bass driver (Bass-2), but that the Mid-bass/Bass-2 continues on above the range of the Low-Bass/Bass-1 -

[​IMG]

In a 2-way system the pair of bass drivers are always running in parallel and in essence act as a single bass driver.

So, it is possible that if the Acoustic Energy Center is a 2.5-way, you will not get the same sound from both bass drivers.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  6. cornishgiant

cornishgiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks very much guys. I have swapped them around, no difference.

It is 2.5 I think which explains why they are different.

I think it's the amp, I just can't get the same settings as before. Grr

7. AEJim

AEJim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi guys, yes indeed the Neo Centre is a 2.5-Way design so the sound will be different from each side. I'm just a bit late to the party! It's quite hard to damage those Neodymium motor drivers and you'd know if they were fried because they'd scrape as you push them in and out, if they move freely they're generally ok.

If it sounds weedy you could check the settings on the amp to put all speakers to "Large" or "Small", go with the opposite to what it is set at now just to hear the difference. Also check sub settings etc, sometimes an auto set-up will do strange things if you have that option (we had -14dB subwoofer setting by using the auto mode for a demo once!). You have a lot of control with an AV amp and it will most likely be something in there that's reset from how you had it, it'll be a case of trial and error I expect...

8. cornishgiant

cornishgiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks Jim. I've been fiddling and I still can't figure it out. It just isn't handling voices right.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

9. cornishgiant

cornishgiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Or it might be that I have changed the sky box to digital sound from stereo. But I'm not sure if I have or not. Aaarrghh !!!