1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Busted 100x5R

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by hodeyp, Aug 22, 2005.

1. hodeyp

hodeyp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to my horror i discovered my 100x5R failed when I went to watch Sin City on friday. The unit just seems to have died with no indication it is getting any power. Doing the obvious checks there is definitely nothing wrong with mains going into the unit so sadly it is about to be packed up and sent to the factory for maintenance.

Has anybody had experience of the service department recently? My DVD32R went back for 9 months (no joke) before I saw it again - I really do not want a repeat of that very unpleasant experience...

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unplug the unit -

check the mains fuse inside the little drawer on the mains socket, located on the back of the unit itself. there are usually two fuses, one is a spare.

If this has popped, simply replace and purchase some spares.

Failing that, contact your retailer if the unit is in warranty, or, if not, IAG.

3. Welly123

Welly123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

My AV192R was with IAG for over seven weeks back in Jan~Feb, when it came back it still had the original fault so it ent back again and they ended up changing the mainboard.... touch wood, it's been fine since.

Regards

4. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 100x5R is a much more simple product over the processor and especially the DVD player. So, theres not much point in scaring people if the only thing thats wrong is the mains fuse...

5. Welly123

Welly123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not trying to scare anyone... Phil requested feedback/experience and I gave some. After waiting nine months for his DVD32R, I guess he will be prepared for the "worst case" anyway.

I hope it is the fuse causing the issue but if it's not..... :eek:

Regards

6. hodeyp

hodeyp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm beyond scaring when it comes to tag!! just checked the fuses - sadly both intact so postman is coming tomorrow.... wish me luck!

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    you might need it :(

8. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But, as before, the 100x5R is a simple beast compared to the DVD or A.

It consists of 5 modules, the standby power supply and the the TAG Bus. Theres no need to scare the guy sh*tless...

It is wrong to compare a DVD/ AV repair with an amplifier repair.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    As before he wan't after feedback on the ease of repair but the service department. We are not scaring him, IAG have already done that with the DVD player repair. The waiting list is the same for both however.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Nic...I think that roversd1's point is perhaps the most important,in that whilst the same service department is involved,servicing an amp is a far simpler proposition than something as complex as the DVD32R with all the attendant issues there.

As to the waiting list being the same for each...do you(or anyone else for that matter)have any recent experience of that?

11. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    One of my 125m's went bang approx 6 months ago. As i recall it took about 6 weeks door to door.

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am glad it is easy, the fact my DVD was serviced, parts changed, and dispatched out to me in hours is heartening for such a complex device. The technical guys are obviously clued up. The wait for months before hand, we will forget about then? I hope the amp get fixed as quickly and that when it returns someone like me doesn't have to fix it to get it working.

YES

The original poster asked

Has anybody had experience of the service department recently? Perhaps we should actually answer that? It is after all what he asked for, not how easy it is to fix. :( Now matter how accurate Rovers reply is.

13. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    AV32 DP - 9 months and counting - Not a power amp I know but I have to moan where I can! :)

14. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Nic...I can see why you're angry,as I would be if any piece of my gear was sat waiting for that length of time.

It seems that Steve.EX's experience of the service time was much shorter(6wks) for his 125M.....hopefully it will be nearer that than 9mths.

What I had asked was if anyone had experience of not only the DVd service wait,but also the service wait for other items....thanks Steve.

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    My wait for DVD servicing is well documented as are many other examples here. This why I didn't expand any further. Old ground now as far as I am concerned but the same ground the OP has gone down as well.....

The failure to return a working DVD player to me is probably less well known. Who is to blame for that I have no idea and frankly don't care anymore now my 32 is working again back here.

Friendly dealer dealing with a similar issue re amps decided AGAINST using IAG following some investigations 'in the industry'. They fixed the unit in their own work shop. Story told to me in the last 4 weeks 'privately'. This was after the event by the dealer, who contacted me, for advice on Tag / IAG products. They are one of the 'ex dealers'. I believe this happened recently (last 6-8 weeks). Amplifier easily fixed apparently. Dealer trustworthy one and looking to whether they should take on Audiolab and other IAG products.

This is why I answered YES but didn't really want to go over the this ground as IAG had not done the repair (and it was done quickly I suspect ;)). I thought YES as answer would be sufficient, it used to be.

I enjoyed giving the advice to the dealer re their current IAG products :)

Am I still angry, no, I have moved on. I will however run another 'diary' of any future repairs like I did last time for IAG to show their performance. It will be 100% statement of facts (as last time) and my feelings again and I suspect I will get no proper appology again re delays from IAG....Nice guys on the phone though, efficient, I blame the management.

16. memmerson

memmerson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I sent my dvd32r back to IAG (for flexi-foil repair) a couple of months ago, turnaround time was about 4/5 weeks.

Marc

17. hodeyp

hodeyp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys, i've been told 4 weeks waiting list so hopefully i'll see it before the end of september. Frustrating though - as you say this isn't the most complex bit of kit. I'd hate to wait 4 weeks for them to get it in the workshop only to find they can fix it in 5 minutes.

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    which is probably what will happen. Personally I feel turn around should be 1 week for good service. This is what I would like to see.

19. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    OK guys, like I said on my bugger DVD32r dying thread, things are now relatively stable at IAG service as they are now in the proper service building and things have improved..... I tried to get IAG managements OK to what I am about to say but there e-mail system threw it back at me dispite several conversations in the past but as it is good news I can't see the harm now.....

Our DVD32R repaired in around 4-5 weeks and worked straight out of the box, and is still running a week later.... This was a simple repair (swapped chip), nad done quite quickly after the initial wait for it to be looked at. I'd suggest that other simple repairs might follow a similar path now...... Complex fault finding and diagnosis will always take longer though as many have already pointed out..
    I always had good service from TAG and my one dealing with IAG to date followed suit..... I know that won't help others who waited ages but that is how it is now....