Business Laptop...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by chrism_scotland, Jan 4, 2012.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Hi folks,

Basically I'm being made redundant later this month and I'm going into a Project Support contracting role, and while I know that the ciient will supply their own laptop for security reasons I'd like to pick something fairly mobile and lightweight that I can use for anything else I need to do i.e filing timesheets, expenses, etc and possibly some work (Excel, Access, etc) depending on how long it takes to get a company laptop!!

I've had Business Dell's before (Latitude E6400) and while it was alright it was a bit of a brick!

I'd even been thinking of something smaller like the 11.6" Lenovo x121e (with the Intel i3) or possibly the HP DM1 but I wasn't sure if these would be powerful enough.

I've also looked at the "obvious" Macbook Pro and while I would love one I'm not sure I really need one!

I'm not too bothered about price but don't want to spend a fortune on something if i don't need to!!!

2. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Anyone???

3. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,748
    The Lenovo would be a wonderful little laptop, the only thing is, have you tried a netbook before?
    If not, hop down to your local PC World/Currys or what not and see if they have any on display, get a feel for the size of the screen, keyboard and mouse pad as they do take a little getting used to on a smaller laptop.

The HP isn't quite as good but would still cope with what you need, but you'd be better off with an i3 as I'm sure you figured out.
    A Macbook Pro would certainly be overkill, plus the office apps don't run perfectly on Macs, there are a lot of issues. I'd stick with Windows if I were you.

Samsung have the following:
    Samsung 350U2B NP350U2B-A01UK

Which is a well specced laptop for the price, and is a little bigger than the 11" ones, at 12.5" - makes a surprisingly big difference.

If you want to go a little futher and go really sleek then take a look at the Asus ZenBook, very nice laptop and very light, but it comes at a price, I know someone with one and they tend to get 5-6 hours from the battery not the 7 stated (even with management), but that's still good:
    Asus ZenBook UX21E Ultrabook UX21E-KX004V

4. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I would wait and see what the Client supplies you with before looking at a second machine. Even if you are joining on a contract role you should have a laptop within a day or two of starting. (Doubt you will be able to do much without one).

5. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I need to get something anyway really for my own use, I had a netbook before and got rid of it when I got a tablet but the tablet doesn't really replace a PC for anything productive so I could do with something

6. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Thanks mate, I've had an 11.6" HP before and got on fine with it but would probably prefer something a little larger (13") which is why I was thinking about a Macbook. That Samsung looks good though!! I'm also looking at some Lenovo's I know their business machines are meant to be really nice.

Ultrabook looks really nice as well although I wasn't sure how well they had been received, will take a look!