• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Business ADSL.

D

defiant2000

Hi all,

I am currently with virgin media cable for my broadband (4mb line). I play a lot mmo's so the need for a low latency internet connection is quite important.

Virgin is fine through the day and after midnight but in between 4pm and 11pm, there are intermittant spikes of really bad pings when playing games. This is not as noticible when just general surfing because I would assume that when one of these spikes happens, I might be reading text on screen and don't notice it. However, as you all know, for gaming, you need a constant low latency connection.

I have heard of people switching to Business ADSL because although it costs you more, you get a lower contention ratio and constant low latency all the time and especially in the evening when businesses are not using the connections as much.

Has anyone on here had experience with a good provider for Business ADSL? If so, can you offer some advice? Prices?

Is it really worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance... :thumbsup:

Rygar

Prominent Member
I wouldn't waste your money. While there is some logic to what you say, you would probably get just as low (if not lower) with An Entanet reseller or Plusnets gaming service, and it would be low 24/7. Entanet would be my first choice because you get more for your money (data allowance) and they actually have a network wide tool in place that ensures low latency at all times (Anti Loss Tool). Also it's only a one month contract so if I'm wrong migrate after one month!

Just bear in mind that a flakey ADSL line could result in interleaving being enabled on your line which can add a bit to your pings, but the same would be true for a business line.

Both Entanet & Plusnet are pretty good at getting interleaving switched off though.

Have a look at this recent thread on the Entanet forum of thinkbrodband. There are loads of similar threads if you search & they always report low pings.

Unfortunately not all ADSL ISPs are alike in this regard. The big boys in particular seem to be bad, with the possible exception of BT.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom