1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bush RP40TV 40in Rear Projection

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by raymond74, Aug 31, 2005.

1. raymond74

raymond74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen this on offer at Argos for £499. I have a budget of £500 for a new TV and was wondering if this rear projection was ok ? I have been looking at LCD also, and was about to buy a Neovia 26" LCD for the same price, but I am wondering is this 40" is worth the money. I know it will be basic and not in the same league as many other more expensive sets, but it is for my bedroom and only for ocasional use.

What is the life expectancy of rear projection ? Are there any known problems ?

Any advice would be most welcome as I am new to this game.

Regards
    Raymond

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think for those of us that bought RPTV's a while back,that would obviously be a good price,but against that,is the build quality and picture quality of Bush TVs in general,and against for instance Toshiba,who made some of the best RPTVs,it wouldnt stand up very well.

The life expectancy of the tubes should extend to a few good years use at moderate levels,especially if the contrast and brightness are at sensible levels,but replacement is not cheap.
    Problems....burn-in if left on a fixed image for significant periods of time,and problems with convergence,i.e.focussing all 3 of the tubes to the same spot,avoiding problems with coloured edges to the image etc.

You really would need to see the TV working,with a decent source like a DVD player and a favourite DVD to be sure of what you're getting,but that may not be possible via Argos.

My own feeling would be that there are better conventional CRTs,and LCDs around,albeit with smaller screen sizes for that money,but you would get a much better picture in the long term I think.

To get a really good RPTV picture,it does/did cost a fair bit,and also entails a fair amount of fiddling with the setup to get the best out of it,and is now being superceded by other RPTV technologies such as DLP and LCD,both of which have come down in price and up in performance,although not into the price range you're looking at.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Moved, as it isn't a DLP.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: