1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bush LCD27TV005 for £507. Opinions please

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Tyler Durden, May 16, 2005.

1. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hello, I am trying to get an idea of how this TV will perform. Does anyone have an opinion on it? Here are some details:

#

# Screen size - 27 ins.

# 68 cm visible screen size.

# RMS power output - 7 watt's.

# Sound system - Nicam.

# Resolution 1280 x 768 x 3 pixels.

# Brightness 550cd/m2.

# Contrast ratio 600:1.

# Fastext.

# UHF/VHF tuner.

# Auto setup.

# Auto search tuner.

# Auto search sorting.

# Auto search labelling.

# Sleep timer.

# Child lock.

# NTSC compatible.

# Headphone socket.

# Rear AV socket.

# Remote control (2 AAA batteries supplied).

# 3 SCART sockets.

# 230v AC mains operated.

# TV size (H) 50.1, (D)21.4, (W)78.4 cm.

# Wall mountable.

# 1 year manufacturer's guarantee.

2. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tyler,

Even though this screen is 1" bigger, just on specs alone, I'd probably go for the 26" Sonix screen (£499 from Sainsburys) as the Sonix seems to have more connections than this Bush. The Sonix has 2xScarts (1 is RGB enabled), 1 set of Component inputs, and a DVI input. As yet no one is able to confirm whether the DVI port is HD proof, but use as a computer screen at the full 1280x768 is possible (with supposedly superb results).

I've not seen either screen in action, but according to the 60 odd page thread found on this forum, it's quite a performer. There does seem to be an issue with stock, and reliability at the moment, with *some* screens suffering from odd behaviors. However Sainsburys seem very accommodating so far with all faulty screens being replaced without a fuss. I'd suggest reading that thread, and giving the screen a try; if it doesn't live up to your expectations, you can always bring it back! Sainsburys seem happy to give people refunds if the screen wasn't up to a decent standard. As for the stock issues, it seems that not all Sainsburys actually stock this screen, and the customer support number seem to give the wrong info regarding stock. I would suggest asking the larger stores located near yourself. If you're in Hertfordshire, I know London Colney's Savacenter stocks these. ;)

I would like to reiterate that all the above is just my opinion derived from reading other user comments on this site. Like I said, I have not seen these screens in action myself, but a 60 page thread is difficult to ignore! The ultimate test would be to view them both yourself! :thumbsup:

Ben

3. nacho

nacho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have got the bush screen, decided to get one for the bedroom, the inputs that were listed did make the set seem limited however on checking the screen it also has s-vhs ,vga and dvi inputs, currently have a media pc running on the vga, will try out the dvi input as soon as i can get my hand on my other pc, image from pc(vga) is very good considering i picked the set up for £450 knowing someone with a 10% discount always helps... hehe

4. nacho

nacho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh yeah forgot to add, set also has picture in picture, sound is a bit naff, but then i dont use the onboard speakers so who cares.

5. Phthor

Phthor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @nacho

Does it have 2 tuners - can you get TV-in-TV PIP?

Has anyone else bought this TV?

Asda nevers seems to have the much-hyped Dual in stock. So I am thinking of buying this set from Argos.

Any comments about this set greatly appreciated.

:)

6. nacho

nacho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im in 2 minds about this set now, me experience of lcd sets is limited to this very set i have and the badly setup ones in the local stores around me which does not really help. there is only one tuner, but u can have the tv picture on while in the vga mode which can be fun, the pic at 1280 x 720 is very good off vga for browsing, im still new at all this htpc stuff but some films i playback look fine and others look like they suffer on this set more so in the dark parts. im not sure if its the lack of performance from the set or a setting with the set or htpc, cant comment on the pic from the tuner as i have no connection for that at the moment may sling it down stairs to run off the ntl box as a test if i get the time, will get the dvi sorted out tommorow so i can make a the final choice to keep this set or not... would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this ... as i am new to lcd tv tech.

7. Phthor

Phthor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response. I would be very interested in your DVI feedback.

Has anyone else out there bought this set? Feedback please.

:lease:

8. JF1980

JF1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I went to buy one of these in Argos today for £499 and when the unit actually appeared to collect they had actually given me a goodmans!?! It had the same item number, but lacks a DVI input. I noticed they have a goodmans in their product list at £649, surely they can't have given me this, it doesn't actually give a model number in the catalogue but on the box this says it's a GOODMANS 27W3LCD.

Strange, anyway I think I will take it back within the 16 day refund period. I have not had any experence with LCD TV's before, but this one doesn't seem great. The definition for normal TV viewing seems 'ok' but I can see that with the sharpness of LCD screens HD will really improve the picture quality and make it look more like a real TV picture! I just watched the third installment of Lord of the Rings and while there is not much light leakage around the edges, the dark colours don't show very well and often look blobby and pixelated. This could be the movie, but I think it's more likely to be the TV. I didn't notice much motion blur, maybe only once or twice through the 3 hour movie so that's not bad.

Anyway, I think this will go back in the next few weeks and I am tempted to go for the LG 26LX2R, comet have it for £799 which is £300 more than this set, nearly twice the price so I think I will have to wait a while and hope they come down :-/