Bush HD Freesat

mopop

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi,

my bush hd freesat box has been working fine. since it did an automatic software update the thing keeps turning itself off and on all the time. on average it'll stay on for about a minute, turn off, and then turn on again.

i would try a manual update, but the only option i can find lets you choose manual instead of automatic, but not to actually do the manual update!

anyone know how to rectify this?

i bought it last december, so am nearly out of warranty.

thanks,

~miles

Last edited:
hi,

my bush hd freesat box has been working fine. since it did an automatic software update the thing keeps turning itself off and on all the time. on average it'll stay on for about a minute, turn off, and then turn on again.

i would try a manual update, but the only option i can find lets you choose manual instead of automatic, but not to actually do the manual update!

anyone know how to rectify this?

i bought it last december, so am nearly out of warranty.

thanks,

~miles

Read this thread

5 days and still no freesat - Freesat - Digital Spy Forums

From what I can make out of the Digital Spy thread, that is about Grundig Alba boxes - do these have the same software as Bush? Certainly my Bush HD box is working as well as ever* - but I only bought it recently, so it may not be quite the same version as the OP's.

*Note, I didn't say "perfectly" - not too impressed by it!

They are all the same internals made by the alba group just have different badges and slight cosmetic differences.

They are all the same internals made by the alba group just have different badges and slight cosmetic differences.

Thanks for that info. Well, as I said my Bush is working OK. But I think it has had a recent update, as I noticed late last night (after my post) that a whole load of FTA channels I'd previously deleted from the non-Freesat list had mysteriously found their way back, & I had to laboriously delete them again - it involves putting in the PIN (0000) individually for each one.

Anyway, hope the OP, mopop, has got his service back now.

Last edited:
My Bush box was also killed by the update.
I don't really use it as I've got a Technisat now, which is an infinitely better box, but it's still annoying.
Looks like I'll have to wait for Harvard to come up with a fix, Not holding my breath over that one.

It's a problem with the latest firmware release. 'They' Harvard International who own Bush, Grundig etc say a fix is being worked on and it only affects a few hundred boxes. Mine worked fine for 12 months now it keeps turning itself on and off. If you have the HD version you probably got it from Argos as they are sole distributor. Their line is they are aware of the issue but you can only claim on the guarantee if it is a hardware issue. In this case it's software. Interestingly, Argos will not take it off the shelf despite knowing it will malfunction on the first firmware upgrade.

There is a piece in Wikipedia on this and they have published a contact no for Bush(0871 230 1777) which is charged at 10p per minute. I've just phoned it, they guy I spoke to immediately knew of the problem, took my details and will arrange a callback, I was only on for about 3 minutes. Today is Saturday and they say I will be phoned on Monday with the fix. I'll let you know how I get on.

Last edited:
See my previous post, all has gone well. A nice lady called Linda phoned me yesterday, the promised day and they collected my box today. They will try to change the software and if that does not work they have promised to give me a new box within 4 working days. They are not sure what brand but the components inside will be the same. I have to say that if I can get over the initial cause of the failure they are dealing with it very efficiently.

I've tried ringing that Bush helpline number a couple of times and hung on listening to music for 5-10 minutes before giving up.
How quickly did you get someone to talk to?

Lucky I guess, I wonder if my posts have caused a rush. I phoned on Saturday.

Sorry avazanto I didn't fully answer you question. I got through in about 30 secs. When I get my unit back I'll post it and let you know how I got on. If you are still having trouble getting through at that time let me know and I'll post Linda's number.

Got a new box today, albeit a Goodmans. Linda's number is 02392 248210.

I did eventually get through and got a call back today to have mine collected for return next week.
Didn't get whether they were just swapping out unts or going to reprogramme the box, I'll just have to wait and see.

Hi Mat it should go smoothly. Whilst I got a brand new Goodmans it is basically the same machine as the bush, the menu's are nearly identical and the handset works with my previously programmed all in one. Everything back to normal now.

Good luck.

Steve

Just got my box returned and it has also turned into a Goodmans.

It's not new but looks like a refurb, one thing I notice peering inside through the vents is it has a heatsink which mine didn't. Maybe as someone on DS said overheating is the problem.

Still, so long as it works when I get home, I'm happy with Harvard's solution to the problem.

Hi Mat, how's the Goodmans? Starting yesterday mine started to download the latest upgrade, repeatedly, failing every time and causing the screen to freeze. I've managed to amend to manual upgrades and it's working OK now but not upgraded. Has yours managed to upgrade to v1.8?

I was a bit worried that it might break again but mine updated first time to 1.8.
When I got it back from Harvard I switched to manual updates so I could wait to see what reports came back about the new software before switching it to automatic. Nothing happened until I switched to standby and back on again, then it found the new download.

What system software is yours running mine was a 1.6 version, over on DS someone says that some 1.4 versions can't do this update?

Also you could try turning yours off for 30 mins or so, then trying automatic updates again, I did that on my original box one time to get a 'failed' update to start installing.

You probably will believe this! To only fix is for them pick the unit up again and flash it. What a farce, it must be costing them a fortune. On the upside they are being efficient again, they collect tomorrow. The guy I spoke to said that part of the problem is they have to buy satellite time for the downloads which is why success is sporadic.

Last edited:
That's bonkers!
You'd have though someone might have thought this through a lttle bit better.

Does that mean that you could buy a new box with old software and that won't update either?

You're right, it looks like you could by a new box and the download will fail, the goodmans thet sent me to replace the bush was new. The box was collected today.

This is news to me or i've been very lucky.Had the goodmans for a few months no problems.Bought a bush about a week ago,after a couple of days the update downloaded and still without any problems.Both boxes have and still work 100%.

Hi all, just got a Bush HD box today as they were on offer at Argos (maybe they are off loading them!). Was a bit disappointed to find this thread.

Can you give me a little advice then please. I have had mine switched on about 3 hours, it is producing a lovely picture, 90% signal and output to HDMI. It seems to be running at only a moderate temperature and running software 1.4.4.4.

No updates have been downloaded whilst it was on and i have now switched it to manual. Can I expect problems with the unit? Should I just live with this firmware or let it update? Shopuld I get my money back quick!?

Hi all, just got a Bush HD box today as they were on offer at Argos (maybe they are off loading them!). Was a bit disappointed to find this thread.

Can you give me a little advice then please. I have had mine switched on about 3 hours, it is producing a lovely picture, 90% signal and output to HDMI. It seems to be running at only a moderate temperature and running software 1.4.4.4.

No updates have been downloaded whilst it was on and i have now switched it to manual. Can I expect problems with the unit? Should I just live with this firmware or let it update? Shopuld I get my money back quick!?

I'm not sure it's fair to say Argos are off-loading them - assuming you got your box at just over £67 - they've been that price there for some time now.

In the six weeks I've had the box, my viewing experience, like yours, has been fine. Where the box does disappoint a bit is in its crude handling of non-Freesat channels - but you probably haven't got round to that yet.

Re upgrades - the most recent to 1.8.1, was to modify parental controls when they put some "Babe" channels on the EPG in the near future. You may or may not be interested in this - so leaving your box on manual update is probably a good idea.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom