Bush Fridge Freezer Too Cold - Help Please

Discussion in 'Domestic White Goods Forum' started by chris301up, Jun 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. chris301up

chris301up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Bush BFFF48144W Fridge / Freezer but the fridge compartment is far too cold and freezes most of the items stored in there. The thermostat is turned right down to the lowest point it will go, but still too cold.

There is a build up of 'powdery' ice on the rear panel which, in my opinion, suggests an ingress of air / condensation somewhere

I have checked the door seal using thin card but all is fine there, so don't think that could be the issue? This morning I thought I'd remove the thermostat housing expecting to see a standard thermostat with capillary tube, but no, there is a small printed circuit board under there. I haven't progressed any further so thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone has had any similar issues and may have any suggestions? Could the PCB possibly be the issue?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2018
  2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,343
    Presumably this is as high as it will go? Highest temperature not lowest? 1 is warmest and 5 coldest so leave on 1 for a while.

Ice on the back panel - try a manual defrost first. Warm hair dryer even. if it isn’t just a defrost job, icing could indicate lost gas or defective expansion valve/orifice. If that is where the evaporator is.

Defrost first though and get a good heat load in there. Warm wheat bags or similar.

When you turn the thermostat you should hear it click. Especially once warmed up the click as you turn colder, or the compressor starting, should be audible. Turn warmer and it should stop. That fridge has a visible compressor and defrost evaporation tray and condenser at the back I think. Pull it out to check what is running and what isnt. The compressor
    piles should both have no ice. One should be cool (inlet) and one hot (outlet) be careful!

Search for this problem for this make and model online and there are some very detailed explanations of what to check beyond the external tyre kicking above!

3. chris301up

chris301up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Right. To answer your question. The temperature is turned down to its lowest point (coolest) number 1. Everything freezes solid if turned just a little more towards 1.5 and upwards.

There is no audible 'click' when turning this either way, and nothing switches on / off. I was wondering about this just a few minutes ago. All other fridge / freezers I've owned switched off / on when turning the dial but, I also know they all had standard thermostats with capillary tubes and not PCB's

I have searched Bush products online but I may as well be looking for rocking horse droppings.

4. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,343
    I searched the make and model only and got the manual

BUSH BFFF48144W INSTALLATION & USER'S INSTRUCTIONS Pdf Download.

And an detailed thread on fixya with your problem (US maybe)

SOLVED: I have a bush BFFF48144w combi fridge freezer only - Fixya

If you can follow the Fixya thread answer that might help.

Do a manual defrost before anything else I suggest. The compressor should stray when the thermostat close cla as you head towards 5 - but may be stopped by faulty defrost bits and pieces for example. Either that or it is running all the time - clicking but signals not working or compressor end faulty.

Or could be short of gas. Sealed systems so you need to find the leak if there is one. Then find somebody who will add gas - I doubt that fridge is designed to be topped up.

5. chris301up

chris301up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you for the reply. I did find and download the user manual but could really do with a wiring diagram. But that looks like an impossible task? My Wife got fed up waiting so has had another fridge / freezer delivered. Looks like just taking this to the tip. Shame really has it was a good unit until this fault developed.

6. chris301up

chris301up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi again. Just an update

Since having a new fridge / freezer I thought I'd have a bit of a play around with the old unit. I have defrosted it completely several times, but still no joy. I have tried this several times with the thermostat setting to 5 and 1, but still it freezes items in the fridge. I was going to see if I can repair and maybe sell it on, but I din't think I'm going to get anywhere with it?

I've trawled the internet for detailed wiring diagrams but no luck whatsoever. I'll have more chance 'knitting fog'. If anyone has any ideas please let me know thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2018
  7. chris301up

chris301up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ]I've had a look at the fridge / freezer again today and it looks like it could be the bi-metal stat that's at fault. I've taken the inner rear panel off and removed this part and with a multi-meter.
    I have tested it at room temperature and again in a container with ice cubes but still no nothing. I have now placed this in a plastic container, filled it with water and have put it in the new freezer until it freezes to see if I can get any continuity readings then. Fingers crossed - I won't?

I will say that whilst I had the panel off I by-passed the connections of the bi-metal stat, switched the unit on and can confirm I had plenty of heat from the evaporator coils, so can assume all is well with this item. It's a bit of a 'hit-and-miss' approach but, with this process of elimination, I'm hoping to locate the fault.

If anyone has any other input please feel free to let me know. refrigerator-defrost-thermostat-500x500.jpg

Right. I can confirm I don't get any continuity readings whatsoever from the bi-metal stat. It certainly looks like this could be the problem? Does anyone have one of these knocking around at the right price?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2018
  8. chris301up

chris301up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  9. chris301up

chris301up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just an update and I have to say I am a little disappointed. I've replaced the bi-metal stat but no joy. The fridge still freezes items in there. I really thought I'd identified the problem.

Today I thought I'd spend a bit more time checking things out. I have checked the evaporator heater element with a multi-meter and that checks out fine with continuity. I have also shorted out the connections where the bi-metal stat connects to and the evaporator heater element warms up nicely. No issues there!

Another check I have tried is to put the bi-metal stats, old and new in water, in a plastic container and put them in the freezer. These appear to be working absolutely fine once the temperature gets cold enough for them to operate?

As I have been unable to locate a wiring diagram anywhere it's been a little 'hit-and-miss' but, with trial and error, I think I've managed to test most of the wiring and components. I can only now assume that the only other component that could be at fault is the temperature controller panel?

Ah well. It looks like a journey to the tip unless someone has any further advice? :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2018
  10. reddragon105

reddragon105

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've got the same problem with a Bush BFFF54170S, which is a very similar model (from looking at pictures of the BFFF48144W they seem to be exactly the same, except mine is metallic grey).

It's 3.5 years old and ice started building up in it about 2-3 months ago. We'd had it set to '3' since we got it and I tried changing it to '5', thinking that was warmer, but of course it's actually colder, and that made all the food freeze - including big lumps of ice in a 6 pint carton of milk in the door - so I set it to '1' but even on that it's still getting ice building up on the back wall and everything is colder than it should be, with anything fresh only lasting a couple of days before it's frozen through. I've defrosted it to remove the ice buildup a couple of times and have got as far as removing the bit at the top with the light and dial to take a look at the thermostat, which is a PCB that's going to cost £50 to replace and I'm not even sure whether that is the cause of the problem.

I don't know what else to try and I don't think getting a professional to repair it would be cost effective, given how much we paid for the fridge freezer and how little we could get a new one for. But if you do make any more progress with it, I'd be interested to hear about it, and if I get anywhere with mine I will let you know.