Bush Aspect ratio will not stick?

We have just bought a Bush dual tuner Freeview 320Gb PVR and despite setting 16:9 in the settings, it keeps switching back to 4:3 almost everytime the channel is changed, the EPG is checked, or the sub titles button is pressed - basically any button which might affect the display content, drops it back to 4:3. It then needs the width button on the remote to be pressed, to restore the 16:9 aspect.

It is used with a cheap 16:9 flatscreen in the kitchen, which has always behaved itself - is it the Bush or the flatscreen at fault please?

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Harrym1byt said:
We have just bought a Bush 2channel Freeview 320Gb PVR and despite setting 16:9 in the settings, it keeps switching back to 4:3 almost everytime the channel is changed, the EPG is checked, or the sub titles button is pressed - basically any button which might affect the display content, drops it back to 4:3. It then needs the width button on the remote to be pressed, to restore the 16:9 aspect.

It is used with a cheap 16:9 flatscreen in the kitchen, which has always behaved itself - is it the Bush or the flatscreen at fault please?

You don't state how the two are connected, I'm presuming by scart, if so make sure you're using a fully wired scart and that it's plugged into the TV output scart on the PVR and not the one marked VCR (or AUX).

They are connected via a fully wired scart. Both TV and PVR only have one SCART socket each.

If it helps - I notice when it is on 4:9 and you try to switch it to 16:9 via the 'width' button, it sometimes switches back and forth several times after just one button press - as if it is 'fighting' something.

Last edited:
Connect it temporarily to another Tv and see if it's the same.

Mmm, good point - no hadn't, I had convinced myself it was the Bush PVR.

I've just tried it with a second flat screen, a 21" Samsung and it behaves itself perfectly with the same SCART lead. So now I need to work out which wire in the SCART does the aspect switching - thanks.

Sorted a work around!

The aspect switching is carried out by differing voltages put on pin 8 by the PVR. Obviously the TV wasn't happy with the voltage it was getting was within its range for 16:9, so it was dithering between the two.

As a work around (botch), I bent pin 8 over and found a setting in the TV's menu to force it to stay in by default 16:9.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Cutting pin 8 is a known solution (or rather workaround) for some switching problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom