Bush A/V products - any complaints?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Foebane72, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I don't know about you lot, but I've had a mixed experience with Bush, mainly their products sold on Argos.co.uk.

Put simply, I've bought an MP3 player from them that wouldn't play certain bitrates properly and which had a godawful interface. But I got it because it had a lot of memory. And a TV bought just yesterday which was extremely poor at Freeview reception and of which the HDMI inputs couldn't recognise a single signal type from my Philips Blu-ray player, even though my current Samsung works fine with it. But I got it because it was full 1080p and an LED.

YET, both the Freesat boxes I've bought from them (SD, then HD) have been great.

So what are your experiences with this Argos-coexistent A/V manufacturer?

2. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Bought a freeview box from them about 4 years ago, worked for a couple of years then broke. Was something like £15 so I guess it was ok if you don't expect much.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  3. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,078
    Before parting with your money, you should really search online for an AV related website to get other's opinions so that you don't waste your time and money buying rubbish.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Bush don't "manufacture" any products.
    They buy in and rebadge cheap equipment from the Far East mainly.

5. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Ah.

I have to admit, I fibbed a bit about the TV's HDMI. In truth, when I booted up the Blu-ray player, the boot logo appeared fine on the screen in 576i. It was only when it started properly in 1080p that the "no signal" thing appeared on the screen. Constantly.

I scoured the user manual, thinking there special settings for HDMI, but there was nothing. So I figured the set was faulty - after all, it was the last set available in my local Argos branch. So I got it returned and got a refund.

What I can't figure out is the Reevoo reviews for their products, they average 4/5 for the Bush products at best, and there are many "satisfied" customers yet many others who said the products failed out of the box.

So are there any complaints against Reevoo as well? :rolleyes:

6. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    we had a bush dvd player didnt last long but i wouldnt touch any of there products ever again rather keep to like lg or samsung makes like that really

7. liamis2cool

liamis2cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Always had bush products from tv's to Hifi's as a teen never had any problem as a adults have always stuck to Samsung or Sony, but we wanted a tv for daughters room, so got a bush 21" led 1080p tv with a built in DVD player, it's been excellent only issue I would say is the built in DVD player is a bit loud loading

8. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    bet quailty isnt brill on bush

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI,

In my experience, "Bush" electrical goods are cheap, cheerful, and with no frills. If you buy a basic 4:3 TV, and all you want your TV to do is be able to watch BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C4 or Five, then the Bush TV will do the job, but it won't do it well, or last for very long. :(

As such, I tend to avoid any products that aren't from the major brands like Sony, Panasonic, etc. Too many stores have brand-name products that are just worthless tat. That's fine, if you're spending £3 on a kettle, not so good when you're spending £200 on a Freeview-enabled LCD TV set.

As others have said, stick to the better, well-known, and more assured companies, and do your research beforehand too. :)

Pooch

10. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,095
    It's alright for a TV and DVD player for the kids' bedrooms.

11. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Bush :laugh: bad name!

Its like the other "own brand" stuff. Perhaps made very cheaply in a factory in China, then badged up Bush/Cello/Teknika/Fony/Punasonic/Samsong etc etc.

It will show a picture/make a sound but it will not be the best at it. For the kind of money larger LCDs are and knowing how unreliable they can be (even the decent brands), I would spend more and make sure it has a 5 year gurantee.

It will still be made in China, but ought to be a much better quality.

(FYI - I once took a gamble on an Aldi LCD/DVD for the spare room, and it aint great, the screen "bleeds" at the edges, the sound was poor, PQ was OK, the opertaing and remote control was odd - kids never complained though!)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  12. walleee

walleee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I steer clear of bush, I've found friends sets to have slow menus, remotes' that arn't responsive, and a few other niggling problems.

I guess they are OK for the average user, but better can be had in the same price bracket. For example a Bush 32" LCD TV is £200 in Argos just now, a few months ago I spent £230, and had a 32" LED with built in PVR delivered to my door from Amazon. OK if you need something quickly, with a 28 day money back guarantee, but if you have time to shop around you'll find better deals.

13. Piscauk

Piscauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Easy there tiger, only fair to point out on an AV forum where people may look for AV advice, Cello were setup in 2001, somewhere "up north", UK. Yes, it may well be built by a little Chinese fella working a 25 hour day, but as you point out, so is any of the major brands.

Our Bush FreesatHD box, whilst lacking some features such as iPlayer, and any kind of firmware support, delivers what it should. It was 1/4 the price of a Humax at the time, and in all fairness it is still going. Despite the close attention of our dogs, who LOVE knocking it about on the floor. Much like our £5 Matsui radio.

14. walleee

walleee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    ^^^ thanks I didn'y know that, it's a cello that I bought off amazon. Infact, its branded as a cello, but it's made by some german (I think company) called SEG.

In any case its better than a bush!

15. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I will take Cello thing back, but I still would not buy an un-established / lesser brand, Tevion (Aldi) proved it not to be worth while.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  16. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    king bush lol

17. walleee

walleee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I had a tevion for 2 years before giving it to my granda whos also had it for 2 years now, never missed a beat and better than my brothers 32" bush in terms of pic quality and menu speed/ response...

18. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    The Tevion has some strange quirks in the way its operates, the remote has some odd button locations (and it now rattles), and the PQ whilst OK with freeview, can be a bit messy with other inputs. It wasn't a bad TV, but prefer the Sony that replaced, but it cost twice as much!

Oh - and the freeview sometimes looses sound, just requires a restart to resolved that problem.

19. walleee

walleee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Yeah, in fairness i remember it was actuall a rebranded beko, a give away was the beko sticker on the back on the unit!

Strange... I think i was lucky with the one i got as its had no problems...