Busch Gardens and animal wellfare

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Monty Burns, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hey Guys

a group of us are arranging a joint trip to Orlando and in the process of choosing parks.

During these discussions, one couple said that when they went they have vivid memories of Elephants rocking from side to side (possibly inidacting they are bored and unhappy?), anyone else seen animals reacting like this in Busch Gardens?

Do they have a bad rep for treartment?

Obviously, I don't want to go *IF* its going to put money into a nasty place.

Thanks in advance,

(P.s. I reckon the animal was just drunk on Buds)

2. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,849
    Busch Gardens is the best park in Florida by a country mile IMO.. Never saw any problems myself......

Any animal in captivity is going to have certain behaviour differences to their wild counterparts........

3. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks for the response.

This was indeed my reaction.

I was stunned to hear that they saw this and for an incredibly large company get away with anything verging on cruelty in such a large public access venue, well, it would be unbelievable to say the least!

Just after a quick google I see nothing but praise for them and all the rescue work they seem to be involved in just would not follow with our friends reports. I still reckon the elephant had been drinking too much Bud ;)

I would appreciate more people views on this as well.

4. craig777

craig777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Never got around to visiting Busch Gardens on my various holidays to Florida, but I have been to 'Disney's Animal Kingom' a few times and I'd have to say they have some of the healthiest looking captive animals I've seen - well worth a visit IMO and some of the rides are great fun too.

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    ditto the above post. Busch Gardens is ace - especially if you like coasters as it has some fabulous ones.

Seaworld is also a must-see. You will be completely awestruck by the shows there - especially Shamu the Killer whale.

It was my favourite park of the trip.

Least favourite was Epcot - some dud rides and ageing badly these days IMO.

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    Didn't London zoo have an elephant (before they were sent elsewhere) that used to rock backwards and forwards? After numerous tests and studies (costing a fair bit I imagine) I recall it being established that the elephant just liked doing it. I was also quite taken with the Indian elephant that had learned to do a perfect impersonation of a truck for reasons best known to itself. Bright animals like elephants do have something of a reputation for being a bit off the wall it seems (whether in captivity or not).

7. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Busch Gardens - excellent, didn't see any animals which looked distressed - seemed to have plenty of space to run around in.

By the way, go on the main water ride (the one with the big drop), then when you are finished, watch the next car come donw by standing on the bridge / walkway - you will get soaked.

As mentioned by others, SeaWorld is good - the Penguin enclosure is excellent, but the daddy of them all is Animal Kingdom. I am not a geat animal lover as such, but it was my favourite park, even spent my Birthday there at Mickeys Jungle breakfast.

Cheers

8. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    If you are going to Orlando you HAVE HAVE HAVE to go to Typhoon Lagoon.

Without a doubt the best waterpark in the world (and largest outdoor swimming pool)

9. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140

/offtopic

Its better than Wet n Wild?

10. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Easily, the queues at Wet "n" Wild are a joke, and standing around in that heat for long times is dangerous.

Not sure if you have been there before but is has the largest wave machine in the world makes a wave like 1.5 stories high (if not higher). The reaction when it pops out (1 every five minutes) is unreal. A thousand people screaming and then swimming away from it is quite a sight. :thumbsup:

11. PaulaB

PaulaB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Last time I went to Sea World Shamu swam up to the man selling towels next to the tank. Got his tail lined up with the poor man and completly soaked him!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :D :rotfl: :thumbsup:

12. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Excellent!

I like the idea of shorter queues - who wouldn't! And the wave machine sounds like a right 'larf!!!!!

I guess from this thread then we can conclude that Elephants rocking is not always a bad sign (or did I just read that in a google?) and that Busch Gardens are very nice to there animals.

Thanks for all the replies :thumbsup:

13. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
  14. GingerMagic

GingerMagic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hey,

Went to Busch Gardens a few weeks ago, and saw exactly what you have described - An elephant rocking from side to side. But i have no idea if this had to do with the animal being in captivity or not. It could be totally natural.

Now, I have some serious issues with Zoo's etc (not my choice to go to Busch Gardens!) and am of the opinion that it seems a little wrong that we lock these animals up for our viewing pleasure. But at the same time it appeared that Busch Gardens take animal welfare quite seriously, and i didn't see any mis-treatment that i can think of (Bar a kangaroo/wallaby being walked on a leash - which i didn't agree with)

Anyway, on a different note, the rollercoasters are brilliant. If you do go, make sure you go on Sharika - the vertical drop rollercoaster. I did, seven times!

Another couple of places you should check out are the Daytona Speedway (Man those cars are loud!) and Kennedy Space Centre, which is simply awesome.

Also, if you're not taking kids, steer well clear of downtown disney at night - Universal Studios is where it's at! :D

Paul

15. craig777

craig777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    If you're going to Orlando you HAVE HAVE HAVE to go to ALL the parks!!! Some are better than others, but they're all worth visiting. The safari ride at Animal Kingdom is very good if you like your wild animals, but being a theme park, there's a twist or two involved. ;)

Another tip I'd give you, is to NOT read too much about all the rides/shows as you'll spoil some of the fun and surprises - I made the mistake of doing this and I always knew what was coming next.

16. craig777

craig777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yeah, Downtown Disney is pretty poor at night. Nice to look around the shops though, that's where the huge Virgin Megastore is along with Planet Hollywood.

17. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140

Pah!

Can't say I agree with that (that is where Pleasure Island is right?). We had some seriously good nights in Rock N Role Beach Cafe and the HUGE cans of Fosters :devil:

18. Elmer

Elmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Weaving by elephants is not a natural activity and is one of a number of stereotypic behaviours that elephants and other animals (particularly large mammals) exhibit in captivity but don't exhibit in the wild.

Google elephants stereotypic weaving for more information

19. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Does indeed appear then that this is not a normal behaviour as suggested. Although, my friends and GingerMagic (your not Chris Evans are ya? j/k!!) are the only people to of seen this at Buschy. Indeed, Ginger even goes on to say that despite his personal dislike of Zoo's that Busch Gardens did seem to offer very good facilities.

Hmm .... what to do.....:confused: To go ... or not :confused:

20. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    i always thought Busch took really good care of thier animals. Great place to visit. Its been about 4 years since ive been but i have visited orlando and tampa about 7 times in all. Busch even has a decent dolphin show, still not sure how i stand on that deal though. One place i havent been to nearly enough is sea world. I plan to go back next year.
    I agree totally about typhoon lagoon, what a great place! wet and wild has nothing on this place believe me! The wave machine makes this awesome sound like WHUUMMMP then all you hear is screams! its hilarious until the first time your in the pool, you actually do get pretty scared!!!
    The lazy river is one of my favs though. Just try and go in a week day when its not holiday time!

This may sound strange but the one thing i enjoyed about visiting florida is that i got the chance to shoot live rounds at a range every time i went. Thats a totally different experience and a bit humbling. Nothing like ripping a few holes in a paper roundel with a thompson smg

21. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've been to Busch Gardens several times, ditto Seaworld (another Annheuser-Busch park), and I have never seen any evidence of animal maltreatment. Go and enjoy yourself.

22. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    Got married in Florida last July....but heh, it's not all bad news - the parks are brilliant. My 4 year old girl was entranced by the Cinderella show outside the castle in Magic Kingdom. Personally I loved Universal and Animal Kingdom - the safari is very good. Some little tips - we went in July and it was very very hot, buy just one water sprayer with the integrated fan, as they cost about $15 in every park; use the fastpass system to get on the popular rides; hire a car or van; have an all-you-can eat breakfast at a "Ponderosa" diner -$5 and fills you for the day; have a few rounds of golf at any of the championship standard courses - we played at Championsgate, cost about $90 but that included brandnew Callaway club hire and 2*electric buggies with satnav; do not stay in hotels, hire a villa - we had a magnificent 5 bed villa with pool/jacuzzi/internet access/PS2/games room - cost about $1250 per week, but split between 3 couples its just over $400 per week.

I am very jealous

23. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    :rotfl: You seriously need to explain that one coz the way it comes across.... how was your bat?

You seriously needed Satnav on a golf course??????:D

Yeah, we have all been lots of times to Orlando, just not in the past few years (unless you count my gf who was Virgin Crew ;) ). Got the villa n stuff :thumbsup: And we are looking forward to it big style!:D

24. bobsplace

bobsplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Monty the satnav displays the distance to the hole:)
    i'm off to busch tomorrow, i,ll have a word with the animals for you and ask if they are ok:D

25. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Aint that cheating! :D

And if you could mate, would appreciate it :thumbsup:

(we bought our tickets yesterday thanks to the feedback in this thread - so thanks guys!)

26. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    yeah villa is the way, we always did it like this, shared with an auntie and uncle and some cousins (there would be say 7-8 of us in the house,still tons of room.
    Ponderosa is good sometimes, all you can eat... and trust me, they do try!
    Red lobsters are also good, same sorta deal but you have to order a steak or fish then the rest is free including soft drinks.
    As for those fans... if you are staying in a villa and find yourself shopping for food, you can get them anywhere, walmart, k mart, eckerd, publix for about 2.99, dont pay more than $6 for them