1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burying cables

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RichardJ, Jul 31, 2003.

1. RichardJ

RichardJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys,

My Hitachi 42PD3000 finally arrived from John Lewis yesterday and I've just got to mount it on the wall, plug it in and I can then start enjoying the plasma experience that you all convinced me I've been missing out on.

I would like to hide the power and video cable in the wall but I'm not sure how to go about it and would appreciate advice from anyone who's done it themselves. It's an external wall on a new house with plasterboard stuck to the breeze blocks if that helps.

Thanks in advance,
    Richard

2. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For starters, make sure you know what you are doing when you attach the plasma to the wall - mine is attached to the type of wall you describe via 8 10 inch screws/ bolts with fixings designed for breeze block. As for burying the cables, you can either channel out the wall and plaster over when finished or use some kind of ducting on the surface of the wall. The latter option need not be as ugly as it sounds (check the "get your plasmas out......" thread to see a few innovative solutions. Also, route the screens mains cable away from the cable carryung the signal from your AV source to the plasma to avoid interfence.

3. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    10 inch screws? Jeez! Your plasma must be a structural part of your house now :D :cool: I think you mean Number 10 screws. I used 8x No.12x2" long on mine, with the brown type of rawlplugs in slightly undersized holes.

You can hire channel cutters quite cheaply from Hewdens and the like. They can be set to cut the right depth for whatever conduit you choose to buy so as to minimise in-filling afterwards. I decided to surface mount all my cable trunking on the skirting board and wall. The stuff on the wall is painted to match. Looks pretty neat and also allows for upgrades in the future, without getting the cold chisel out ;)

4. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No really, I mean 10 inch screws! sufice to say, the thing hasn't fallen off yet, only catch is, I'm thinking about upgading to the panny 6 (assuming it has DVI) abd am concerned about how much of the wall will hve to come down to get the current plasma off! (it's going in the bedroom then!)

5. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  6. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I channelled out the plasterboard with a router (you will probably trash a router bit doing this though).

Then put the cables in the channel/behind the plasterboard. Filled most of the gap with that expanding foam stuff and then plastered over the top.

I also cut a bit of the skirting board out so I could feed the wires all the way to the floor, then have them running under the carpet around the edge of the room. The small bit of skirting board was then stuck back in place and everything painted over.

Not a quick job but well worth it I think.

http://www.simonburton.net/images/plasma.jpg

7. SherrifJWPepper

SherrifJWPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If its plasterboard you shouldnt need to chase out a full channel from top to bottom. Just make a hole top and bottom and fish the wires through. You can tell where the plaster dabs are by knocking the wall, if it sounds hollow then your ok. If it sounds solid then there is a dab there. At least this way you only have a couple of small holes to fill :smoke:

8. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah this may be possible but for me the gap between the blocks and plasterboard was too small to fit the power lead through (the end that goes to the plasma is still quite big) - would have been o.k. for just phono cables though. S'pose you could cut the plug off the cable and then wire up another plug after.

9. SherrifJWPepper

SherrifJWPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, I wired mine to a fused spur so I didnt need the plug :cool:

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Save on router bits and use a stanley knife. Your situation with the small gap is normal with dry lined walls, but even if you cut a complete channel out, it needn't be that big and should be relatively easy to replaster. Says he... I usually resort to sandpaper to get a decent finish.

11. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RichardJ,

I got my Trunking from B&Q, I used the rectangle plastic Trunking with click-on top cover (Very Cheap).

I used THREE trunking tubes, one had the SCART to BNC lead and VGA cable, the other has mains cable and the 3rd is a spare.

The idea was too keep the signal and mains cables apart !

I used the 3rd trucking tube for spare connections and added a piece of string.
    Hey, and I used it the other week! I added the centre speaker cable down the spare trucking tube.

The good thing about the plastic trucking is that the cables slide in the truncking, so when I mounted the plasma on the wall I could pull the cables from the bottom of the wall.

I brought a new Mains cable as my other cables are 3 Metres long.
    The one that came with the Panny D4 was only about 1.5-2.0 Metres which was too small.

My wall is made of 3/4 inch plasterboard with a air gap of 3/4 then breeze block, so using a JIG SAW I cut a 4 inch wide hole at a 45 degree angle down the wall from the plasma to a dummy wall socket. The girlfriend thought I had got MAD !!! Tip cover everything up with dust sheets before you begin and get someone to suckup the dust with a vacuum cleaner or you will get 1/2inch of dust and lots of ear bashing...

Also I have added a mains Belling Lee filter box between the main plug and the wall socket, that will stop any mains spikes that kill Switch Mode Power Supplies like the ones fitted in the Plasma units.

I have now got my Living Fire fitted below my Plasma, and I am a very happy boy and it does look very very cool.

Have Fun,

Bluebear.
    :clap:

12. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EEEeeee, 45 degree cable runs - naughty!!! :lesson: That's against building codes. Cables are supposed to run horizontally or vertically, this is so when the next numpty to live in your house comes along they don't inadvertently drill through your mains cables because they can't tell where you've run them from.

Anyway, to answer the rest of the questions, "mousing" cables between plasterboard and breeze block is quite easy, use a bit of string and a wire coathanger first to get the string through, then pull the cables through.

To mount my plasma on the wall I used 5" long expanding bolts into the breeze block, so the plasma isn't using the plasterboard for support at all.

mike

13. white70beard

white70beard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on the subject of burying cables,can anyone tell me what is the minimum depth of fibre cables (ntl.virgin) buried in a garden.
    thanks white70beard