1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burying cables

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jazz Monkey Jr, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    I am going to bury all my cables soon, Are they OK next to each other, or am I best the keep the power cable seperate?

I have SCART cables
    HDMI Cable
    Component cables
    Power cable
    Phono cables (audio out)

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
  3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    I thought so, did you get my e-mail about ISF?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
  5. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Thanks, I will check when I get home.

6. Stokesey

Stokesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mal,
    I have just buried all my cables and have bundled them all together, I am getting interference when watching TV via the Aerial, I asume this is due to the power cable? I'm considering pulling it all out, placing it in trunking in the wall and plastering again!! I have plastered straight over the cables but have been advised that this won't do them any good either, whether that is true or not I have no idea. One good idea is to use an RJ45 blanking plate where the cables exit, this will make a much more professional job...

7. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can save a lot of money by putting the wires in place and getting a qualified electrician to do the final wiring up if your not confident.
    Keep the mains separate .when terminating the mains i suggest you use a switched fused cord outlet plate wired with at least 1.5mm BASIC approved 6242Y Twin and Earth cable with the new harmonised core colours(make sure the bracket or the plasma fits ok and is not hindered by it)also use trunking in the wall a lot thicker than the cables you need for any future needs and for ease of pulling..use any ferrite cores supplied. leave a pull cable so you can pull any extra leads needed in the future.Don't forget any speaker wires that may go near the screen not just picture signal and power.There are many blanking plates which have a largish hole in the middle to push pre molded signal cables through.
    Be careful of sharp edges on metal patresses and if possible use rubber gromets to protect cables. labeling the cable inside the padres with masking tape might seem OTT but can prove a massive time saver.

If possible fit dedicated spurs to the screen and Audio equipment this with stop interference and ground loop problems and some say improve performance.
    plaster has been known to eat at exposed cables but this is a bit alarmist and takes years to take affect.