1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burying cable in walls - plasterboard & stud

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by greyjackal, Aug 28, 2004.

1. greyjackal

greyjackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know people chase cables into brick walls and so forth using conduit and plaster on top, but is that feasible with plasterboard?

Or am I better off making a couple of holes and spending a frustrating eleventy billion hours trying to feed the cables through :D

Initially it'll just be speaker cable.

Actually, on a related note, are KEF Eggs "light" enough (ie they're quite solid for their size) to be mounted on a plasterboard wall or is it a bad idea full stop (for acoustical reasons). I currently have the two fronts on the waist high stands you can get and the centre on the top of the telly. However, I've a Panny PW6 arriving next week (woo yay etc) and I don't think the top's deep enough to have the centre egg sitting on it. Might look a bit daft too. So I was thinking of putting at least the centre on the wall above the plasma (plasma is going on a stand - I know for a fact THAT won't be able to be mounted :D).

And there's no room on the stand I don't think, what with the amp, DVD player and ntl STB.

Cheers.

2. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends what stage your at.If your room is completely finished it will be difficult to fish the cables throw all the studs with the plaster boards still on.

Plaster boards are only a few quid each so if its feasable I would pull the old ones off,put your cable runs in......and,in the process work out where your wall mounted stuff needs to go and place 18mm sterling board strips so you have a fixing when the boards go back on.

If you get tapered edge boards you'll be able to tape and joint instead of skim...a quick sand and paint job when it dry...put your skirtings back on and hey presto job done.

Realy simple..cheap and done in one weekend no probs..

I've just build a timber frame extension and this the way I did my runs in the home cinema room.nice and neat and not to difficut at all.

chow :hiya:

3. greyjackal

greyjackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta for the pointers. Unfortunately, the room is completely finished, as in I haven't done anything structural to it, just stripped paper and painted it. Looks like I may have to go for the "behind the skirting board horizontally and then behind the board vertically" option as I'm loathe to take off the plasterboard (I'm not particular practised in DIY :D

4. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if your cables are running up the stud you should be able to dig our the plasterboard to the stud and place cable in gap.then fill over sand and finish.have to do this when running extra switches in stud partioning.you will find you wil have plenty of room in gap for most cables

5. greyjackal

greyjackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. That sounds less frustrating than trying to wiggle cable through two holes in the board :)