Burst tyre in France, no spare... Stranded!

j4ck100

Established Member
Reaction score
So heading back from skiing this week there's loud bang, burst tyre, and BMW no longer put spares or space savers in, just a foam canister that is completely useless as there's a gaping hole, so we got recovered off the motorway to a hotel and now wondering if / how we will get back to blighty as it would appear no garages will open tomorrow as Easter. No European breakdown cover either unfortunately.. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Should be a space saver under the boot floor in that E46!

I know i have :) plus i'll be taking a full size spare when i drive to Monaco via the Alps.

So heading back from skiing this week there's loud bang, burst tyre, and BMW no longer put spares or space savers in, just a foam canister that is completely useless as there's a gaping hole, so we got recovered off the motorway to a hotel and now wondering if / how we will get back to blighty as it would appear no garages will open tomorrow as Easter. No European breakdown cover either unfortunately.. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Most places are open in France tomorrow. No problem.

M
Should be a space saver under the boot floor in that E46!

I know i have :) plus i'll be taking a full size spare when i drive to Monaco via the Alps.
MJN you absolute beauty. Wish I had remembered this before I paid 180eur to get recovered off the motorway, doh!

Think we od'd a little on cheap beer, too much weight on the rear! that will teach me...

Sorted now?

If this isn't sorted, I am in Southern France at the minute, heading towards Paris tomorrow for two days and heading to Dieppe on Monday, if I can help I happily will. Let me know if it's possible. I have a spare VW 18" in my boot, I expect BMW will share the bolt pattern?

How to reply in this thread:

If this isn't sorted, I am in Southern France at the minute, heading towards Paris tomorrow for two days and heading to Dieppe on Monday, if I can help I happily will. Let me know if it's possible. I have a spare VW 18" in my boot, I expect BMW will share the bolt pattern?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an insult but not to him.

Got the space saver on now after undoing bolts that hercules must have tightened up, heading to "Speedy tyres" at 8am hopefully they have a replacement, is it unadviseable to do 300 miles on a space saver? Thanks so much for the offer!

Personally I wouldn't do that distance on a space saver, however if it's the only option then stick under 60!
Should be OK tomorrow with the tyre shop though mind, just do as you plan and get there early, everything will be shit until Tuesday after tomorrow lunch.

Good luck with it.

Maybe stick to 50mph on the donut IIRC. Good luck with your return journey...

IIRC correctly the E46 space saver is restricted to 50 MPH. Think there's a sticker on the rim.

I had to use mine a few weeks back for 15 miles. I certainly wouldn't want to drive 300 miles on one, especially with a boot full of beer.

Thanks, yes 50mph it says, will do absolute best to get a new tyre put on the rim tomorrow morning, that's a worst case scenario driving back on the saver

Cheers

If anyone is interested!

10268547_10152464037301747_8728147929134287363_n.jpg

Ouch! Nasty blow out!

I think those space savers are limited to 80miles? Either way, you should be able to find somewhere to get a new tyre.

And feel free to send some of that cheap beer in your car boot my way, for reminding you about the space saver :D

If anyone is interested!

10268547_10152464037301747_8728147929134287363_n.jpg
Was this by any chance the front drivers side tyre. I had an identical blowout on a motorway triggered by hitting a cats eye. When I removed the wheel the corner of the tyre was excessively worn (almost through). Was stumped as to what had worn it down so bad, no sign of anything in the wheel arch rubbing. Later that week was watching a Police Stop program in which they pulled over a car with similar wear to the same tyre. They stated that the wear is from excessive speeds on roundabouts. When you go too fast the tyre rolls and all the traction is on the inside corner.

I think those space savers are limited to 80miles?
Just checked my manual as it was handy & there's no mention of a maximum distance. Just that it should be changed as soon as possible. Something you should check before driving any distance is the pressure. Should be 4.2 BAR/61 PSI.

You did the right thing being recovered off the motorway anyway, as it is illegal in France to change a tyre on the hard shoulder.

Much safer as well :)

The spacesavers I remember were limited to 50 mph/80 kph and a 50 mile/80 km range. Not that didn't stop some people using them for a few weeks at motorways speeds.

What happened to the funny post?

A few of us were thinking it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom