1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burr brown or Wolfsan?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by sparkymarky, Sep 2, 2005.

1. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    just a quick question, Which is generally the preferred d/a converter between the Wolfsan 24bit/196khz and the Burr-Brown 20 bit?

Just curious as i see the cambridge audio 540c and nad c521bee employee these differing types

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Both are highly regarded,but very different DACs,and the end result in terms of sound is not just down to the DACs themselves,but also the circuitry they're partnered with,and how well it's all integrated.

The Burr Brown 20 bit has always been considered a very good sounding DAC,but is probably getting a bit long in the tooth now compared to some newere designs,especially if you're considering higher sampling and bit rates.

The best way to decide is simply to try the different players and find which one suits you and your system,and not to worry about what particular DAC is inside....different implementations of identical DACs can have far greater differences in sound than 2 different DAC types in many cases.

3. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    i think you're right. i'll have to try and demo both. thanks for your input.