1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burnt out pixel on new plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by scaffs, Jun 14, 2004.

1. scaffs

scaffs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just recieved my new relisys 42in plasma but when it arrived it had a single burnt out pixel, rang the shops customer services (richer sounds) who fobbed me off to the manufacturer who then fobbed me off to the warranty company who told me they cant do anything until four pixels are out
    surely under the sale of goods act which says all products should be supplied free from minor defects or they should replace it or give me my money back which there refusing to do
    any help would be most welcome

2. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm sure someone else will know more but I'm sure there is a certain number of pixels that can be blown before the unit is considered faulty? :(

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Did you buy it in a shop, or via the WWW or phone?

If either of the latter, the distance selling regulations give you 7 days in which to cancel the contract (for any reason you like) and get a refund.

Failing that you may still have a claim under the sale of goods act - unless you were overtly advised before purchase of the "acceptable" level of defects.

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Different for each manufacturer, but less than 5'ish doesn't normally count - a good dealer maybe swap for a couple of dead's if you are lucky...

JJ

5. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'd go along with the earlier post: if you bought it either by telephone or by the web then the distance selling regs apply. Tell them that unless they're prepared to swop it then you'll reject it under the sale of goods act. You can reject for any reason: you don't have to prove it's faulty or anything. You'll have to sort out the cost of the return delivery but if you've got a richer sounds near then you should be able to return it there. Don't let them fob you off with the manufacturer, your business/contract is with Richer Sounds, not the manufacturer.

I know that there's supposed to be a tolerance for these things but I have to say I find it incredible that they're allowed to get away with this sort of thing. I appreciate that they say it would cost lots to get them all perfect but surely, not many here have had issues with pixel failure so is it still that common? If it's not and they're getting better at manufacturing them then surely that means that it's reasonable to expect one that works.

Until enough people stand their ground and exercise their rights in this way, there's no incentive for them to try to improve. Sorry if this sounds bolshy but these are expensive items that many people (including myself) have to save up for and it's really disheartening to find that something that you've invested your hard earned cash for has a defect (and despite what they may say, it is a defect). If two sets are sold to two people, why should one have to settle for a screen with a defect if the other has one that's perfect?

Rant over. Sorry to all retailers here for sounding off, I honestly think that the manufacturers have put you in a ridiculous situation having to justify what is, IMHO, unjustifiable. You have my sympathy for what it's worth. The manufacturers do not.

6. scaffs

scaffs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply, i bought in shop on 30th june and it was delivered 8th of june (just under a week ago) ive been on the phone constantly to RICHER SOUNDS customer services and they just refuse to replace it they quote a different law for selling plasmas (that sounds crap to me) and tell me if i take them to court i will lose i think there trying it on but where do i go from here

7. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yep, if you bought it in a shop then the distance selling regs don't apply unless of course there wasn't one there for you to see on display. If you've not seen the item in question then I think that you have a case for rejection of the goods as the whole idea is that until it arrived, you hadn't seen the item to know if it was suitable. If you saw one there in action then the only recourse is that you could say that you were not made aware of the potential that the screen might not have all it's pixels working. That's more problematical.

I would suggest you contact trading standards for advice but in the meantime, do a google for sale of goods act and distance selling regs and that may provide you with a starting point.

Have to say that I don't buy anything substantial anymore unless I know I'm covered by these regs or I know that the firm has a no quible return policy. For instance, John Lewis who have a 28 day no reason return policy. I had to make use of this and I have to say that they were absolutely brilliant about the problems I had and I have no hesitation in saying that they will get lots of business from me as a result of it.

8. scaffs

scaffs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i paid with my credit card would i be covered someway there

9. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe Richer sounds do a 14 day exchange deal, that if you are not satisfied then you can change for a different product or a credit note, may be worth considering.

Good Luck

10. scaffs

scaffs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just checked my guarantee and in the small print it says if not completely satisfied return to the store within 30 days for a full refund :) strange customer services not mentioning that (not) now all i need is to find a new one for 2 grand ,any ideas people :thumbsup: thanks for your help guys