Burnout Legends - what do you think?

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took delivery of this game yesterday and I am not sure if I like it or not.

Presentation wise its not a scratch on Ridge Racer, its slow to load, the menus are clunky, slow to navigate, the music annoys and it all seems a bit brash to me. First time I started the actual game up I was disspaointed with the GFX and some of the SFX grated, but after playing it a few times I think there is some good game play lurking underneath, some of the action is great - BUT still not sure. I may sell it on, or should I wait for it to grow on me?

Felt exactly the same as you.
Was extremely disappointed, as usual I think my expectations where just set too high.
After about a week of play, yes it does start to grow. There is some gameplay lurking inside albeit very repetitive.
I think if your not totaly hooked the on first day with this one then you'll never be completely satisfied.

I've never played Burnout before because I didn't like the issues you mentioned so I never gave it a chance but a few people have said that it is a very good game. I'm still busy with the excellent Ridge Racer at the moment.

A similar thing happened with Wipeout Pure - I'd never played it properly in any incarnation as I always preferred F Zero. Got it for the PSP and was very dissapointed - was going to sell it the same day as I thought the controls, sense of speed and craft physics were crap.

Decided to play it a little bit more, discovered the huge differences in crafts and am busy hammering the game now - gotta love the feeling of floating round a track and grabbing every booster without touching the walls :)

My advice is give it a shot for a couple of days, if the game doesn't click for you then get rid of it.

A Bit Boring Really Is All About Crashing,so What,once U Get Passed That Its *****

The best racer on PSP at the moment IMO. Personally I found Ridge boring :boring: .

I always prefered Burnout2 on the Cube to any of the future releases so was happy to see it released as a bit of a "best of".

I couldn't have hoped for it to be any better on PSP :thumbsup:

John Martucci said:
Felt exactly the same as you.
Was extremely disappointed, as usual I think my expectations where just set too high.
After about a week of play, yes it does start to grow. There is some gameplay lurking inside albeit very repetitive.
I think if your not totaly hooked the on first day with this one then you'll never be completely satisfied.

Totally agree with you there. Bought it as I enjoyed it on the big screen with the ps2 and xbox versions for the sheer speed. Bought it on the PSP and didnt give much thought to the fact that it was pretty much a compilation of the 3 burnouts to date. Boy was I in for some boredom as most of the tracks I was familiar with :/ The crashes are entertaining though, nothing beats a good pile up! :clap: I find myself playing crash modes or racing in wifi. I hardly touch it for single player now :(

i also agree - i was not that impressed with the game, especially after playing Burnout Revenge on xbox. Music is annoying and gameplay seems quite bland.

Shame as i really was looking forward to it. Roll on Grand Theft Auto.

DVDCHILD

i love it but must admit im totally hooked on lumines at the mo - hated it at first but now i refuse to sleep :eek:

It seems like its not just me then, I will sell it. I cant stand that bloody in game rock music...

Roll on GTA, I will stick with RR and Lumines for now!

I find the menu loading times the most annoying part. If I want to repeat a level it's a 30 second wait. Ridiculous!

RR is much more accessible.

Tejstar said:
I find the menu loading times the most annoying part. If I want to repeat a level it's a 30 second wait. Ridiculous!
Its a pain in the arse! Hope other games improve on load times!

It's by far my favourite game on the PSP. The music is a bit crap but it's easily turned off.

Played a bit more last night - I actually like it now :confused:

I still think the GFX are crap and so much so I find the game sometimes diffcult to play and see clearly the oncoming traffic - the game does not showcase the PSPs power! I am in the process of turning off the most annoying tracks (custom tracks would be great!)

I think the problem I had with it was the the gameplay mechanics are different to all other driving games! But now I am learning to play it better. Still on the compact events, but almost Gold on everythig then on to the GP :D

I really like the music, think it suits this and the ssx series really well. Hope EA doesn't change it.

I really enjoyed the game, though I was initially disappointed with the graphics. I found it pretty easy though, and I breezed through the first 4 classes, and all the crash events. I've just to finish the Super Class and get those multiplayer cars (worst idea ever, by the way) and I'm done. Decent game for a quick play though.

MattTheBeanster said:
I really like the music, think it suits this and the ssx series really well. Hope EA doesn't change it.

SSX always had funky music, not the Hard Rock drivel you get on Burnout!!!

The music on Burnout 3 was great. The music on Burnout Legends and Burnout Revenge (which shares the same set of music) is horrible, with only a couple of good tracks (Chemical Brothers really). The worst thing is that though custom soundtracks were available for Burnout 3, Burnout Revenge doesn't seem to support them.

I've changed my mind on this game.

Its too small\short

graphics are nothing special at all and look quite drab really.

Its great fun at first, really satisfying. Then it gradually gets more and more boring then its just a chore to play.

(I expect 2 player would be good but aint got no mates with a psp)

Burnout 3 has a top soundtrack:thumbsup: Iwould buy it on cd if they had released it :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom