1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning WAV Files to DVD.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Garrett, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,367
    Yesterday I tried burning some Wav files from my HD to DVD-RW and they copied ok yet on putting the disk in the DVD player it failed to recognise them. Thus it would not play them.
    Does anyone know how to burn Wav files to DVD so a player will play them, preferably using Nero.

2. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    .WAV files are data files. If you copy them to a disk as .WAV files no player (as far as I'm aware) will play them. If you used Nero to burn .cda files (cd audio) on to a DVD, again most players will not play .cda on a DVD only on a CD. Your DVD player may play MP3s on a DVD, in which case you will need to convert the .WAVs to MP3. Nero can do this on the fly providing you have the necessary plug in.

Hope this helps.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,367

But can the wav. files be converted to the same format as what Nero converts wav. to CD?

4. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When Nero converts .WAV files it produces the equivalent of a commercial audio CD. Conversely when ripping an audio CD into a lossless form the .WAV file is the output. You can burn your .WAV files to CD-R/RW and the DVD player should recognise it as an audio CD. It will not recognise audio tracks on DVD though.

If you use Nero to produce a Data DVD, full of MP3 files then many DVD players can play these, even if enclosed within folders. I have not tried to use Nero itself to convert .WAV to MP3, I prefer to use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) and LAME which can be set up to output the mp3 at a choice of quality, including variable bitrate, for best results.

5. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  6. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    gab2001uk
    Whats the benifit in using variable bit rate as apposed to fixed ??
    EAC is a quality piece of software, I use the MAC decoder for Monkey Audio .APE files but on some 'less listened to' CD have been ripping to Hard Drive in high bit rate MP3 - hence the question.

7. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The benefit is the same as MPEG video.
    If the bitrate is fixed at the highest setting you may get a 10MB file.
    Use variable you may get 8MB, but with no discernable difference in quality, so it is a way of reducing filesize by using the higher bitrate on the most complex part of the audio.