1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning stuff from sky+ box to DVD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Katie22, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Katie22

Katie22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to connect my sky+ box to my pc and burn stuff onto DVDs?

2. Leander

Leander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Katie,

yes, it's possible. Think of the DVD recorder just like your VHS. You can connect, for example, scart to scart and simply use the 'Copy' function within Sky+.

You cannot record a 5.1 DD track as there is no optical in on any DVD recorder that I'm aware of, it will only include a stereo soundtrack.

Cheers,

Leander

3. Katie22

Katie22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Leander

Thanks for the quick response. I am sorry if I didn't explain myself very well. I don't have a dvd recorder, just a pc with a dvd burner. Can I connect up to this and copy?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    You can in theory rip the programs from the Sky+ HDD to a PC but this is technically data theft and therefore we are not allowed to discuss such things on this forum.
    A bit of internet searching should turn up a few web sites that will give you all the information you need to do it though.

Mark.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes you can it's just not a simple and cheap as buying a DVD recorder unless you already have a well specced PC:)

You need some sort of analogue capture card in the PC or a external capture device which would then use USB or Firewire to connect to the PC. Connect the SKY+ video and audio output to the capture device then record the data on the HD as raw data or as compressed data using mpeg1, mpegII (DVD spec) or other codec.
    You will also need some editing and authoring software and you will need a fast PC with a lot of ram and HD space.

6. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Katie

Depending on the level of quality that you are looking for you can spend from £30 for the cheapest analogue PC capture card solution, to around £600 ex vat for bit-perfect digital archiving (subject to all of the usual restrictions regarding copyright etc)

If you need more advice then drop us a line

regards