Burning region 2 on a region 3 dvd rw??

F

flyingmonk

Hi,

my sony dvdrw wont let me change back from region 3 to region 2, even tho i have one change left! I have tried to burn region 2 media on it and it did not work. The problem is, when I try to change it an error message appears..."unable to change region, please make sure you have region 2 media in the drive and administration privallage" (region 2 media in the drive and i have no admin pass or logon so i suspect i am the admin). I am currently updating my dvd collection, and being a student I cannot afford to buy dvds I do not want, so I was trying to check the movies I want out first. (I only buy special edition from asia as theyre the best, no certification on the covers etc.)

any suggestions would be welcome even if its just a guess

thanks

flyingmonk

You could use a program like dvd region free to make the drive region free, it should work even though you have one change left.

I'm confused here flyingmonk, you say you're trying to burn region 2 media .. how are you trying to do this, I've never seen a DVD burner where you select what region you want to lock the DVD to, and blank media is not region-coded?

I think I don't understand what you're saying. :confused:

If you're trying to read a region 2 DVD then as Inzaman suggests, DVD Region Free or AnyDVD will allow you read any region DVD on any drive, and several other things besides .. there's also an older freeware one called DVD Region Killer but that hasn't been updated for some time AFAIK and it often doesn't work on recent drives.

hi, KraGorn, thats what i was told before, that it doesnt matter what region it is to burn. but it hadnt worked i burnt something when it was region 2 and i had lost the disc so i reburnt it while the drive was set to region 3 and it ended up all corrupted. maybe this was a one off failure, as i only have one dvd left i didnt want to waste it. I will attempt again and post whether it had worked.

thanks for your help everyone...

It was a coincidence :).

Region coding is burned into a DVD when mastered at pressing plant, it's not possible to region lock a DVD on a PC because the region code is encoded when the DVD is encrypted using CSS, while the region code in a DVD drive's firmware is only used when playing back a region protected DVD it plays no part in the burning process.

Hope your one remaining DVD burns cleanly :) .. dependingon your PC, drive etc. it may be wise not to do anything else on the PC during the burn process. Granted a DVD burner *shoudn't* screw-up due to other system activity, but if you're trying to avoid as many potential problems as possible go have a pizza while it's burning. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom