1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning jpegs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bjay, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Bjay

Bjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pannasonic 100. When I used a RAM disc and copied pictures to it via my LG multi format drive on my PC they would not play on the Panasonic and I had to reformat it. The LG drive is suposed to be able to read and write to these discs, any suggestions please?

My next question I realise isn't really in this forums category but I don't seem to be getting the answer to this problem elsewhere. I am trying to scan a couple of hundred slides for a friend and burning them to a DVD via Nero. Firstly I seem to have to do this by creating a Data disc is this correct?

My big problem however is I am trying to keep these jpegs in chronological order and scanning them precisely that way but having trouble with XP windows keeping them this way and will they remain in correct order after burning anyway?

Hoping someone else has solved this problem before and can tell me how.
    Many thanks.

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

Did you finalise the disc. I'm not well up on RAM but perhaps the Panasonic can only play JPEGS from a finalised disc. Have you also checked that the Panasonic will indeed display JPEGS from a RAM disc. Other non RAM brands such as Pioneer and Toshiba etc will only play JPEGS fom CD-R/RW and not DVD-R/RW perhaps Panasonic is the same.

With regards to placing photos in chronological order, there should be no problem with WindowsXP/Nero. The order you create the photos in should be maintained. You will have to rotate portrait photos though to make sure they are displayed correctly on the TV with black bordes at the side. You will need to use a paint program such as Adobe photoshop or paint shop pro. Windows preview will not retain and picture rotated when you copy them to CD.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Here are what I hope are some useful hints about JPEGs on DVD machines.

1. JPEGs generally only play from CD-R and finalised CD-RW.

2. They must be 'Baseline' compression, not 'Progressive' - no difference in quality, 'progressive' was devised to speed up display on PCs.

3. No portrait format images which have been rotated by Microsoft Viewer. If you have portrait format images, rotate them using Photoshop software or IrfanView which is free from www.irfanview.com. In both cases use 'Save As' to force recoding of images.

4. If you have some rotated images which won't display, use PC software as above to re-save with a new name.

5. Write images to a CD-RW and finalise it as a try-out. If it's all OK, remake as CD-R. You can add images to CD-R in several batches using Nero. Don't bother about finalisation - Nero looks after it.

6. It's probably not worth having images with resolution over 1024x576 for 16:9 TV display or 768x576 to preserve image 4:3 format.
    CRTs aren't that good and Plasma is in that range anyway. Bigger images take longer to display.

4. Bjay

Bjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for the very useful tips.

In Nero do I create a data disc or Video CD or Super video CD for jpegs? I keep thinking of video as moving images and not still.

5. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You have to make sure you copy the JPEGs in a file structure the E100 can understand. I used my old Panasonic HS2 to copy JPEGs from my Canon Digital camera to DVD-RAM and the pictures appeared in the following folder structure:
    'JPEG', 'DCIM001', '100_DVD' and then the JPEGs.

This folder structure has also worked for copying JPEGs to DVD-RAM on my PC for viewing on the HS2. From memory you may be able to just put the JPEGs in a folder called 'JPEG' - but you'll need to try that for yourself!

DVD-RAMs never require finalisation. One of the benefits of the format IMHO.

Eddyad gives some good advice there - but note that the Panasonic range (E100, E95, E500 etc) have been designed to work as JPEG viewers and thus play JPEGs from DVD-RAM quite happily.

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You create a CD-ROM - just as if you were backing up data or whatever from your PC.
    You can store the JPEGs in folders as usual and the DVD machine will go through them in order. The JPEGs on the disk and not in a folder will be first. The way the folders appear will depend on the DVD machine JPEG viewer.

You can put any old PC CD-ROM in the DVD machine and it will search out all the JPEGs and show them, ignoring all the other files on the CD.

I find the Nero Wizard system confusing so I use Standard. In case you aren't familiar with Standard, this is the procedure to add new files or folders to an existing (or new) CD-ROM:

1. Put the target CD-R/RW in the CD burner drive
    2. Open Nero Standard. You get a file browser on the right and a New Compilation panel on top.In this CD-ROM (ISO) in the list on the left will be highlighted and the Multisession tab should be on top: if not, select it.
    3. Select the 'Continue Multisession Disc' radio button
    4, Check only 'Add new files to compilation' (the other options get complicated)
    5. Click the 'New' button on the right. You get Select Track window with the last session/track greyed out.
    6. Click 'OK'
    7. An ISO1 window opens on the left.
    8. Drag the files / folders to be copied from the browser to the RH panel of the LH window. They appear in the list in alphabetical order, not at the end: this is OK.
    9. Click the 'Open the Write CD Dialog' icon at the top
    10. In the dialog check Simulation (optional) and Write. Do NOT check Finalise with CD-Rs or you will not be able to add more files. (if you use a CD-RW you may need to finalise for your DVD machine, then unfinalise to add more, but the Pioneer 420 is OK with unfinalised CD-R and CD-RW)
    11. I select a speed of 8x for my max. 10x burner. Generally speaking the lower the speed the less chance of a dud burn or a disc that the DVD machine won't like. I don't think I'd go above 12x even with high speed discs or burners.
    12. Click Write. I usually select Verify with data CDs.

At some point you may get a warning about non-standard ISO names. Ignore it (I don't recall if it's OK ar Accept).

When you close Nero don't bother to save the ISO file.

It's not as tedious in practice as it is written down :)

7. Bjay

Bjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your excellent advice. I am still having problems with Windows keeping the modified sort order. So I have renamed the files just numerically, hoping windows will keep these jpegs in order and that they will burn in that order too. I also plan to burn these jpegs without any folder structure.

8. Bjay

Bjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to use Nero Express as this is the only software I have. In this Nero vers. you can select either a Data or Video/Picture category and I am presently trying out both of these. Because I was having trouble keeping the slides in chronological order I have renamed them numerically thinking Windows would keep them this way which it does but have just discovered that Nero is unsorting these numbers. When I go to Add and select the Folder my jpegs are in, Nero resorts these numbers in its own numerical way, not continual. Is there any way I can make Nero keep them continual numbers? Hope I am explaining this in a way you can all understand. Many thanks for your help.

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nero will burn in the sequence you drag-drop in 'step 8' of my list - but I don't know if the DVD JPEG show will appear in the same sequence. It is possible the DVD software just sorts the images on name.
    Your numbering is the safest approach. Don't forget that 1 is followed by 10-19 then 2 etc., so you need leading zeros so all the names start with the same number of digits..

I suggest you get a couple of decent CD-RWs (if you don't already have them) to experiment with. Nero has all the facilities to erase and re-format as necessary.

The microsoft sequence is purely software determined. In a Windows folder display if you click View at the top and select Details you get a multi-column display and you can sort the display on any column ascending or descending by clicking the title bars above each column. So what you see is not what you get :(

10. Bjay

Bjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Eddyad, I am new to Nero software so am still working it out.

When I changed my file numbers to 001 etc my DVD player would not keep them sorted but on the PC they will be in correct chronological order so I will name the 200 files this way from now on. I think if I have this right that by using three digits 001 onwards when I get up to 200 this will be enough digits or do I need another zero?

Thanks

11. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I just added a sequence number to some JPEGs out of their chronological sequence and burned them to CD-RW. They played in Name sequence on a Pioneer, but the date/time was displayed in the thumbnail menu which starts the playback.

For sequencing you need 2 digits up to 99, three up to 999 etc.
    Then you get 001,002,...,009,010,011,...,099,100,...,999

The sorting sequence for filenames is: Special characters like #,$,%,_,... then 0-9,a-z,A-Z
    I don't have the full sequence of all special characters