Burning Data Disc to BD-R keeps failing - Is there a maximum file size I can burn? Any Tips?

stevefromleeds

Novice Member
Hi, Sorry if I am in the wrong forum area. This is my first post on AV forums.
I have a large collection of home video files going back to 1992, taken on various SONY Camcorders and now a Go Pro. I try to back these up using BD-R 25 or 50GB discs but have recently had issues burning my discs getting burn errors in Ashampoo and other software.

Through research I know I can't have >23.3GB on a 25GB disc but even when I limit the video files I am trying to burn to <20GB I sometime get burn errors part way through. The usual error message is ......."A medium error" occurred when recording to a CD/DVD/BD. The strange thing is that sometimes I can get the 23GB on the disc but most times it fails and I am going through BD-R discs very quickly.

The discs I am using are Verbatim Datalife BD-R which I think are OK. The burner is a Samsung SE506. My PC runs on Windows 10.

The files are either MP4 or MTS and some are quite large...upto 12GB and I was just wondering if the size of the larger single files could be causing an issue

Any advice or tips would be really appreciated

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thanks
Steve
Ashampoo Error message.JPG

Fe_man2000

Is there a reason you want them on physical disc ? Rather than say on a couple of 64GB/128GB memory sticks or a harddrive to play back via usb on a TV or similar ?

Also might be worth looking at converting to a smaller format if the file sizes are massive but low res and hence wont lose anything if converted correctly.

next010

Distinguished Member
Typically burn errors are the media or laser in BD drive is failing, try lowering write speed down to slowest setting.

In case its somehow the software you could try using the stock win10 optical disc writing method, just drag and drop the files in explorer and choose finalize disc.

Get BD-RE discs which can be re-written in case it fails.

But I agree with Fe_man2000 its way simpler these days to just use USB flash drive, this is the twilight years of optical disc media.

stevefromleeds

Novice Member
Is there a reason you want them on physical disc ? Rather than say on a couple of 64GB/128GB memory sticks or a harddrive to play back via usb on a TV or similar ?

Also might be worth looking at converting to a smaller format if the file sizes are massive but low res and hence wont lose anything if converted correctly.
Hi, Thanks for your reply

Perhaps I'm being to cautious but I have always tried to have the back up in 2 places so I have all the files on various WD hard drives but then like to back up the back up with the discs just in case the HDD's ever fail and I read somewhere that optical discs can last for a long time.

Maybe it's time to change strategy and but a huge HDD to act as the back up of my other HDD's.

stevefromleeds

Novice Member
Typically burn errors are the media or laser in BD drive is failing, try lowering write speed down to slowest setting.

In case its somehow the software you could try using the stock win10 optical disc writing method, just drag and drop the files in explorer and choose finalize disc.

Get BD-RE discs which can be re-written in case it fails.

But I agree with Fe_man2000 its way simpler these days to just use USB flash drive, this is the twilight years of optical disc media.
Thanks for the reply. I started off yesterday using the Win10 disc writer but it took ages (1 hour) just to burn just a few and was writing at 1-2MB/sec so if I try to burn GB of video it will take a long time. Is there a way to speed this up please.

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply. I started off yesterday using the Win10 disc writer but it took ages (1 hour) just to burn just a few and was writing at 1-2MB/sec so if I try to burn GB of video it will take a long time. Is there a way to speed this up please.

Sounds like BD drive could be the problem, unlikely to be able to fix it yourself but if you have the tech skills source a replacement laser for it or just buy a new BD-R drive.

Then factor the cost of that against a bunch of USB flash drives which make much more sense (estimates are 10-20 years), you can see here a fairly comprehensive overview and they estimate
BD-R (non-dye, gold metal layer) 10-20 years
BD-R (dye or non-dye, single layer or dual layer) 5-10 years

I'd wager the BD-R's you have are the 5-10 years type, and in 10 years time BD-R drives might be a thing of the past.

Last edited:

stevefromleeds

Novice Member
Sounds like BD drive could be the problem, unlikely to be able to fix it yourself but if you have the tech skills source a replacement laser for it or just buy a new BD-R drive.

Then factor the cost of that against a bunch of USB flash drives which make much more sense (estimates are 10-20 years), you can see here a fairly comprehensive overview and they estimate
BD-R (non-dye, gold metal layer) 10-20 years
BD-R (dye or non-dye, single layer or dual layer) 5-10 years

I'd wager the BD-R's you have are the 5-10 years type, and in 10 years time BD-R drives might be a thing of the past.
Thanks again, that's really sound advice and yes I do only have the silver discs. Looks like I'm in the market for a large capacity HDD.

PS I tried burning in windows 10 and selected the DVD/CD option rather than the USB option and it was much quicker and whilst it still failed I reckon I got 20GB of the 22GB I asked it to burn

Fe_man2000

I totally agree about having numerous copies but I no longer use disc for any of them. I have around 100GB of stuff I dont want to lose and its on my NAS, on a seperate external HDD and the most vital are also in the cloud and on my PC so hardware failure not an issue or a house fire for the most vital.

The burning, reading of disc for data storage, its all dead tech now and slow to decant to a new medium which will be required at some point - . If you need those disc for recovery in future and if your bluray drive dies in your PC this could be a real problem when there no longer made. go digital.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom