1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning a VCD from an AVI file

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by maisbrough, Nov 17, 2004.

1. maisbrough

maisbrough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not strictly a DVD recording topic, but I'm stuck.
    Is it possible to burn an AVI file onto a standard CD rom and play it on a DVD player - in the same way a VCD works??

If not, anyway I get this AVI file burnt without having to buy a DVD burner??

Appreciate any guidance.....

2. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've done this, using Nero. On the Burn CD option; you choose Video Pictures, then Video CD. Nero converts it and burns it as a Video CD.

Alternatively (if you don't have Nero), look in the downloads section at doom9.net & you will find converters that do the same as Nero. I use Cucusoft AVI to VCD.

Regards

Paul

3. maisbrough

maisbrough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perfect - sounds very straightforward.

Really appreciate your help.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Definitely possible. Although I have Nero, I don't use the mpeg converter built in. There is a freeware tool at www.tmpgenc.net which converts to the required format for VCD and has lots of options for noise reduction, cropping, resizing etc, plus a choice of algorithms, the best of which, whilst very slow, does produce results as good as VCD gets.

Buring the file with Nero (et al) then doesn't involve any conversion. Result - a very good (within the limits of the format) VCD.