Burn marks and oven glove shopping

Steven

Senior Moderator
Solutions
Reaction score
So I contrived to burn myself despite wearing oven gloves. Don't ask... so I have a lovely marker pen like burn line on my hand. Yellow on the edge progressing to orange before blossoming into a nice pastel red in the middle. Anything I should do to treat it or should I just leave it and it will sort itself out?

Secondly, whilst she's away reading some book called Wives and Lovers, none of yuse would happen to know where I can buy these oven gloves? They're baby blue with a picture of a pig on both ends with the caption "Happy as a pig"

Thanks

You've been living down South too long mate ;) :D

Too late to do anything about the burn now, current first aid thinking is that as soon as you burn yourself you should run it under cold water for at least 20 min.
As for for second problem, I'm not sure I'm qualified enough to sort that dilemma out :)

For small burns (eg grill, iron etc) I cover the area with "Fairy Liquid". :eek::eek:

Seems to ease the pain. My father, (who is a doctor of life!!!) swears by this, and as a retired engineer, he had his fair share of minor burns.

So I contrived to burn myself despite wearing oven gloves. Don't ask... so I have a lovely marker pen like burn line on my hand. Yellow on the edge progressing to orange before blossoming into a nice pastel red in the middle. Anything I should do to treat it or should I just leave it and it will sort itself out?

Thanks

A bit late now but you should immediately cool burns and scalds with cold water and continue for 20 minutes.

Don't delay cooling for a moment longer than necessary.

The cold tap will do with a very gentle flow over the wound or place an extremity in a bowl of cold water replenished with more cold as it warms up.

Do not use ice or snow unless you have no choice when camping out in the wilds.

Cooling should reduce the pain and limit long term damage and scarring.

I was taught this in first aid classes years ago but have no medical qualifications.

Your burn sounds as if it ought to see a doctor before possible infection sets in.

Cue the professionals. :)

you should have stuck with what you know, instead of trying to knock up some gastronomic exotica, like XOD :eek: ...beans on toast sounds more appealing now, doesn't it, LFC... :devil: :) ... Sorry you got burned though!

You've been living down South too long mate ;) :D

Why? Because only a southern softy would mince about with a pair of oven mitts in the first place? ;)

Not medical advice, more coward's counsel (and I don't know how bad your burns are), but the anesthetic numbing of Solarcain spray has often stopped me from running around squealing like a stuck pig in the past.

For goodness sake,buy some of these.I use a pair for the kitchen,and a pair for each woodburning stove.You can handle red hot coals with impunity.

For goodness sake,buy some of these.I use a pair for the kitchen,and a pair for each woodburning stove.You can handle red hot coals with impunity.

Wow! you don't have to pay that much for a pair of Kevlar gloves. They are much cheaper <£5 from a Personal Protection Equipment supplier like Greenhams or even Screwfix.

What happens if the doorbells goes?:eek: How you gonna explain that fashion disaster away? :blush: Nope, sorry - couldn't be seen dead in those. :cool:

Wow! you don't have to pay that much for a pair of Kevlar gloves. They are much cheaper <£5 from a Personal Protection Equipment supplier like Greenhams or even Screwfix.

Yes,mine were a giveaway price on flea-bay,it was just the only example I could find.:)

I'm sure someone,somewhere produces a southerners piggy version:D

:laugh: you can rest assured of some quality sympathy from fellow forum members!

Don't mind pee taking so long as there is advice as well. But pee taking in this thread has been fairly minimal/tame anyway

I did run my hand under a cold tap... for about 10 seconds. Then went to eat the dinner :rotfl: It doesn't hurt - I can slap it and there is no pain. It just looks in pain that's all :p Please tell me the scarring will go though?

It doesn't hurt - I can slap it and there is no pain. It just looks in pain that's all :p Please tell me the scarring will go though?

Never a good sign. If you are so burnt that you no longer have the nerve endings to feel the pain then I'd say your chances of recovering from the scars aren't looking to good.

At least nothing else was damaged in the accident. Mind you, you are the owner of a Distinguished Member status ;):D

Now reminded of when I broke my leg, got 2 pins put in and it took 6 months for nerve endings to grow back in my leg to "feel" properly again
Never a good sign. If you are so burnt that you no longer have the nerve endings to feel the pain then I'd say your chances of recovering from the scars aren't looking to good.
To clarify... I can still "feel" from the burn area on my hand. Can feel my nails tapping and scratching on skin. Before I just wanted to get across its not skin falling off I need to go to A&E type burn :p The burn doesn't hurt - it looks bad but I can still use my hand perfectly fine. I was just asking if therefore burn mark will go

I know I should seek a GP but I've not bothered to even use "temp residence" status for GP down here. Not even seen my own GP in Manchester since registering with him. I don't want to bother the NHS for every little thing :p

I think your "accident" needs to be put into perspective.

Compare your burnt hand to the horrifying injuries and death caused by the recent aircraft crash in Phuket.

I think you will make a very good recovery. ;)

Compare your burnt hand to the horrifying injuries and death caused by the recent aircraft crash in Phuket.

:eek::eek::eek:

I'm pretty sure the OP isn't comparing his injury to this tragedy. No need to make him feel bad for seeking advise :nono::nono:

If it is a thin line burn from momentarily touching an oven shelf for example and it no longer hurts I doubt you'll get much scarring, though you may lose your tan from this year, assuming you got one :) There is little you can do about it now though so I'd concentrate your efforts on getting a decent pair of oven gloves :thumbsup: Go for functionality first and fashion second :D

Dave

:eek::eek::eek:

I'm pretty sure the OP isn't comparing his injury to this tragedy. No need to make him feel bad for seeking advise :nono::nono:

why not, after all he does support liverpool:nono::D
yours,
Arsenal supporter:cool:

Can we stay on topic please...

If all you can be is patronising and unhelpful, hiding behind anonymity then don't go on the internet at all :lesson:
If it is a thin line burn from momentarily touching an oven shelf for example and it no longer hurts I doubt you'll get much scarring, though you may lose your tan from this year, assuming you got one :) There is little you can do about it now though so I'd concentrate your efforts on getting a decent pair of oven gloves :thumbsup: Go for functionality first and fashion second :D

Dave
Tan line? How many guy's do you know go for them? :D :devil:

The reason I ask about the oven gloves is that they are my flatmate's and I thought I could replace them and no one would be the wiser...

I don't think I have been patronising or even hiding (how can I hide)? however, you have my apologies if you feel I have been.

The reason I ask about the oven gloves is that they are my flatmate's and I thought I could replace them and no one would be the wiser...

You should be suing him, not buying replacement products :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom