1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn in

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by troymcclure, Jan 25, 2004.

1. troymcclure

troymcclure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought my 1st plasma, Panasonic TH42PW6B, and am over-cautiously running on very low contrast, brightness, colour settings for at least the first 200 hours - paranoia is your friend.

After the 200 hours, even though I've read on here that the Panasonics are almost bullet-proof, could someone rate the following risks for me on the basis of "minutes on screen", "hours", "no risk whatsoever". Informed opinion appreciated, actual proof not necessary :-

letterbox / 4:3 borders.
    As above but iScan grey borders option.
    Sky red dot.
    football score.
    bright Sky channel logos.
    dim Sky channel logos.
    games console static images.
    Sky planner.
    Anything else?

Thanks,

troy

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is the million pound question. or £3000 question.

your doing the right thing keaping the contrast and brightness down for the first few hundread hours,

i dont think you can a put a time on when burn in takes place. but the panny do seen to be very hardy,

i watch films with the borders fine some times 2 in a row thats about 4 hours. or 27 hours if its lord of the rings;)

football scores and timer is fine too as the break after 45 mins with full screen adverts.

screen logos seem ok too as long as its not a channel with very few breaks, something like cnn with a ticker on bottom of screem all time is not a good idea, i watch alot of mtv/sky one/men and motors:devil: :devil: :devil: advert breaks are mostly with out logos and in full screen .

i have ntl at moment getting sky+ 8 th feb so i dont have the red dot yet. but will proberly get a red dot zapper.

the main thing is to enjoy the plasma not spend to much time worrying about film ratio / not watching your fav program because there a logo. you bought it to enjoy and watch not worry about;)

if you have youg kids who luv fox/ or any other kids channel with bright logos. you could always press zoom to stretch the picture so logos and half the picture missing.(what do there care they kids anyway).

hope this helps

ps. i take no responsabilty if your screen f***s up coz of my ideas :D :D

3. troymcclure

troymcclure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

The trouble with relying on ad breaks to relieve the screen of channel logos is that with Sky+ there are no longer any ad breaks.

If you use Sky+ like me you'll record virtually everything rather than watch it live and therefore whiz through the ads at x30 speed in seconds. Same applies to half-time, unless there's a particularly interesting guest. Half-time at x30 takes about 30 seconds. No time for a slice of orange.

On a positive note though, no red dot on recordings so no need for a zapper.

I see you have the iScan and a rgb2yuv. I've just acquired them too. The picture looks very good even at my temporary subdued settings. Not looking forward to configuring the iScan in conjunction with the plasma settings once my run-in period expires. Won't know where to start.

troy

4. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    200 hours, usually a fig given for standard use.(on most panels)
    if you reduce the brightness and contrast you'll have to increase the burn in time due to less wear on the screen.
    good idea to use zoom or somthing to fill the screen while it gets past the most sensitive part, yes slowly it becomes less sensitive to shadowing but if you leave a static pic on long enough it will still burn. :)

5. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You can remove the Sky "Red Dot" with a press of the "back-up" button.

Enjoy your plasma!

\\Chris

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    troy

as for the iscan-plasma settings , i`ve cut down on how many times a day i change settings, 3 times day now,;) ;) ;) , .

how are you planning on connecting iscan to plasma .
    i use vga so thatgives me very little picture setting on the plasma it self. contrast/brightness/ picture mode/

so i have left all on 0 and then i use the iscans array of settings to adjust picture.

7. troymcclure

troymcclure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YS-YS

Bugger! So should I increase my run-in time? 200 hours is painful enough. Or just go straight to my preferred settings and make sure I zoom, avoid red dot etc.? Or gradually increase the settings over a period of time?

Tesla

Yep, know that one. Even better, before I upgraded to Sky+ I had a macro on my pronto (red, 0.1 second delay, backup) which got rid of it permanently until a change of channel. Backup on it's own is only temporary as you know.

I haven't got around to programming the pronto for Sky+ yet but I think I've read that red/delay/backup no longer works, possibly since the dual-record download?

Besides I don't think I'll be doing a Sky+ configuration for the pronto as there's so many buttons in constant use I'd prefer to use the Sky+ remote.

jmack

vga for me too. So between Sky and plasma I have quattro, rgb2yuv and iScan. If I get one of the auto widescreen switching boxes I've just been reading about I'm worried I'll have so many components and cables between source and screen I'll end up with no picture at all :)

troy

8. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yeah, I was aware that red -> back up removed it untill channel change.

How much was your "pronto"? I have never heard of it. I will look it up.

\\Chris

9. troymcclure

troymcclure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pronto cost £250 I think but that was a few years ago now.

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  11. zerolight

zerolight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    And there is now a nice new version of it called Pronto Next Gen or Pronto NG. I bought mine in NYC for about £150. Its much nicer than the old pronto, and higher rez. My old pronto had been dropped often enough to make it buggered. So the NG was a holiday purchase. From BHPhoto.

12. zerolight

zerolight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    For Fujitsu Plasma screen faq...

and from Richer Sounds of all places...

So how long is exceptionally long. It sounds to me that there is excessive worry over screen burn. I'd have thought it more likely to be a problem if you were displaying static image or logo constantly for days or weeks on a screen used as an ad on a wall. it sounds like a few hrs worth of "burn" will fade away after you turn off. I'm really quite interested in this issue as I plan to use my plasma for gaming, as well as DVD. And gaming will have logos, high scores, and HUDs on display constantly. I rarely game more than 2 hrs, but weekends can be all day. ;)

13. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    well, the plasma screens at my gym have been moved about; the one displaying BBC News now displays a timetable (with a white background).

It has clear screen burn from News 24:
    You can see the "Press Red" in the top right, and the News 24 + 88:88 in the lower left (from their digital clock).

However, the screen is still quite watchable, and this was left on News 24 for some 16 hours a day for a good couple of years.

14. zerolight

zerolight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    and is probably one of the early plasmas which doesnt have any anti-burn technology built into it.