• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Burn-in on LG PK590 plasma

Amun82

Established Member
After just a few months of using the plasma (TV, Blueray, Xbox, various use duration - anything from 5min to 8hours) there appears to be a white burn-in in the bottom left and right corners. To be more specific these are elements from one of Xbox games Bad Company 2 (frame and digits size 3 inch by 3 inch). It's barely visible (mainly on a black background) nevertheless you can spot it. I made LG aware of the problem. They came back with two points: the first is that warranty does not cover burn-in and the second is to run “white wash” which is simply white image which you need to keep on for some time. I’ve done the “white wash” no improvement at all. Not quite sure what else I can do to fix it. Now, I was aware of the concept of burn-in before I purchased this plasma and I was particularly careful not to leave still images for prolonged periods. But hey you can’t help it sometimes some channels/games will have some still images present for some time – that’s the way it is - I bought the plasma to use and enjoy it not to have it off or on 20% of brightness to prevent burn-in. Despite this the screen still suffered. I think this is quite bad that it is so easy to get burn-in on this otherwise good quality product. I think LG should warn you and write it in bold and capital letters in documentation attached to the product how to prevent it (if possible) because once it happens it is your problem since LG told me that this is not covered by the warranty.
I wonder if anyone knows how to fix this problem, in possible at all.
Cheers

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
After just a few months of using the plasma (TV, Blueray, Xbox, various use duration - anything from 5min to 8hours) there appears to be a white burn-in in the bottom left and right corners. To be more specific these are elements from one of Xbox games Bad Company 2 (frame and digits size 3 inch by 3 inch). It's barely visible (mainly on a black background) nevertheless you can spot it. I made LG aware of the problem. They came back with two points: the first is that warranty does not cover burn-in and the second is to run “white wash” which is simply white image which you need to keep on for some time. I’ve done the “white wash” no improvement at all. Not quite sure what else I can do to fix it. Now, I was aware of the concept of burn-in before I purchased this plasma and I was particularly careful not to leave still images for prolonged periods. But hey you can’t help it sometimes some channels/games will have some still images present for some time – that’s the way it is - I bought the plasma to use and enjoy it not to have it off or on 20% of brightness to prevent burn-in. Despite this the screen still suffered. I think this is quite bad that it is so easy to get burn-in on this otherwise good quality product. I think LG should warn you and write it in bold and capital letters in documentation attached to the product how to prevent it (if possible) because once it happens it is your problem since LG told me that this is not covered by the warranty.
I wonder if anyone knows how to fix this problem, in possible at all.
Cheers
Put these images onto a usb stick (unzip them first)
http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/files/BreakIn_Images.zip

Now go to the menu-input-usb.
Click on an image to load it up full screen then press Q.Menu on the remote go to set video.
Put the picture mode to Photo, contrast and brightness to 100 with dynamic contrast set to high.
Exit this menu.
Press Q.Menu again and go into Set Photo mode. Set slide show to slow and repeat to on. Exit again untill only a colour slide is on screen and press OK.
Click on slideshow then back to hide the menu and the slides will slowly be shown on screen.
Just make sure it repeats and leave over night while you sleep. This got rid of my really bad IR from when I fell asleep with GT5 race info on screen.

Hope this helps.

Regards

John

Amun82

Established Member

Click on an image to load it up full screen then press Q.Menu on the remote go to set video.
Put the picture mode to Photo, contrast and brightness to 100 with dynamic contrast set to high.
Exit this menu.
Press Q.Menu again and go into Set Photo mode. Set slide show to slow and repeat to on. Exit again untill only a colour slide is on screen and press OK.
Click on slideshow then back to hide the menu and the slides will slowly be shown on screen.
Just make sure it repeats and leave over night while you sleep. This got rid of my really bad IR from when I fell asleep with GT5 race info on screen.

Hope this helps.

Regards

John

Thank you! I will do it tonight and post the results

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Thank you! I will do it tonight and post the results
Depending on the level or IR (I think you have it real bad) it may take longer.
I would say if after a week its still the same with no signs of fading then it could be burn. If it starts to fade just keep the slides going till its gone.
Oh and dont play that game while you wait for the IR to go. ;)

Amun82

Established Member

Exit this menu.

Hope this helps.

Regards

John

Sorry just to clarify. There are some thumbnails apart from colour slides in the zip file. A dozen or so of small thumbnail pictures of grey clouds/mountains? strangely they show on TV but not on PC. Are they supposed to be there?

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Sorry just to clarify. There are some thumbnails apart from colour slides in the zip file. A dozen or so of small thumbnail pictures of grey clouds/mountains? strangely they show on TV but not on PC. Are they supposed to be there?
Random I have them on my USB stick and there just the solid colour slides.
Maybe plugging the USB stick into the PC and formatting it might get rid of these other pics.

Amun82

Established Member
Random I have them on my USB stick and there just the solid colour slides.
Maybe plugging the USB stick into the PC and formatting it might get rid of these other pics.

It's OK now. Odd, there are solid colour slides if I unpack it on Windows but Mac adds the mentioned thumbnails as well.

Amun82

Established Member
So, after 3 weeks of running these pictures for about 8 hours a day I think I can stop now and say... there is no improvement whatsoever. Disappointing a little bit I have to say. Thank you for the advise anyway I think it is good way of getting rid of IR but it seems that in my case it is permanent burn in. Very disappointing considering the plasma was 3 months old when the burn in happened.

I called LG yesterday (second time) and told them what has happened and tried to be reasonable with them and find a solution to this problem. The lady was quite nice but she told me there is nothing they can do about it - "it's just not covered by the warranty". Well she was right. She was even right in saying that all plasma manufacturers' warranties do not cover burn in. However the key here is that manufacturer produces a plasma screen resistant to burn in. If it is not possible do not sell it to your customers since they pay a lot of money for it and do not want to damage it simply by using it. Putting unfair clauses into the warranty is not a solution.

Anyway, I contacted Amazon, where I bought my TV from, my last hope and told them about the problem they got back to me the same day saying... I will get a full refund! Wow! Exemplary customer relations gesture. Something that other (big) suppliers can learn from. I was very happy to get rid of this piece of junk.

I have had 2 LG products in the last 7 months; a buzzing sound system (LG HT905TA) and a plasma screen. Both of them should never pass the quality control at LG, who should seriously revise their internal control procedures.

To sum up and conclude. I will never buy any LG product or plasma in general again. Both of them are very unreliable and it's even worse when you put both together.

Now I need to figure out what to buy as a replacement...

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom