Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

"Burn-in" on LCD projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tomacwhite, Oct 24, 2003.

1. tomacwhite

tomacwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Is this possible? For example Sky channels logos, borders on movies and OSDs on games etc?

How long would a static image have to be displayed before it got burnt in?

I play lots of games and watch loads of DVDs etc, so would be using the projector for this. I didnt know burn-in could occur on a front projection system to be honest. Now I know its a little bit of a concern.

Thanks.

2. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a problem, there is no easily damaged phosor as such, you could probably burn something into the panels if you left it a couple of thousand hours ;)

--Jon

3. tomacwhite

tomacwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So for example a 5 hour gaming session wouldnt cause a problem? Or a 5 hour Sky One session with that red dot wouldnt be a problem?

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Highly improbable on DLP or LCD.

In fact, some commentators have expressed the view that an LCD pixel that is left permanently dark for a prolonged period, might absorb heat from the lamp (especially if the internal ventilation isn't working as well as it should) and suffer heat-related damage as a consequence. I don't know of any real evidence that this occurs, however.

I have also seen reference, in connection with some LCD panels, of an electrical capacitance issue causing a latent image to remain after the signal has gone. However, any residual electrical change will leak away in time so the effect (if it truly occurs) is only ever going to be temporary.

Otherwise, there is no reason why there should be any long-term damage to an LCD from displaying a constantly bright image.

5. tomacwhite

tomacwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the info.