1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn-in on a Samsung 40 inch LCD - yes, really!!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by TheBoingoBandit, Jul 30, 2003.

1. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I haven't been to Harrods' Sound and Vision department in many months, so I took a visit there this evening.

Shockingly I noticed that on the Samsung 40 inch LCD (and it was the LCD not plasma, complete with it's £6000 pricetag) that it had suffered from burn-in. The movie playing was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and on bright scenes, the disc's main menu scene could be clearly seen burnt onto the screen.

I thought that it was impossible for LCDs to suffer from burn-in???

Anyone visiting the store soon should take a look.

On a side note, although it's the wrong forum, I must comment on the Loewe Articos 32 inch TV that I saw there. It was very expensive for it's £2.6k price and size, but it had the very best picture I've ever seen on any CRT TV. Far better than even Philips' Pixel Plus models.

The 3D quality and lack of visible line structure was out of this World and far beyond the quality of most TVs. IMO - the best CRT telly in the World! :smashin:

ps. Terrible news about TagMcLaren. They made the very best DVD players in my opinion. The best picture I've seen on any plasma ever, was from Robbie Williams in concert being played on one of their DVD players onto a 61 inch Fujitsu at Live 2002. (The plasma had actually been loaned from the shop where I work at as well, something I only found out afterwards!)

2. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The new range of Dell laptops that use Samsung LCD panels suffer from this 'burn-in' problem.

Something to do with excess capacitance.

I bought an Inspiron 8500 laptop that had a WUXGA screen that suffered from the problem. I sent it back and got a Sharp screen replacment.

Check out the Dell support forum for more info.

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The manual to my LCD monitor says that screen burn can happen but it isn't permanent.

I haven't tested this.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If it is excess capacitance (which is, effectively, the storage of electrical potential) then it will leak away. Which bears out what avanzato says. And this makes it very different to true 'burn in' which is permanent.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I agree. AFAIK it's impossible to truly burn an LCD screen. Some do suffer from this temporary 'burn' but I have never heard of an LCD being ruined by burn. I know of plenty of trashed plasmas though.

6. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Agreed, but users of the Dell machines have reported that it's near impossible to eradicate severe cases of 'capacitance burn-in'. I tested this before I sent back my machine, and found that it was very difficult to fully remove a burnt-in image.

This should not happen with LCD panels, and Dell have unofficially acknowledged the problem with Samsung panels only.