Burial at sea. Is this an option?...

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...never given too much thought as to what I want doing with my remains when I pop my glogs. I don't much like the idea of having a plot of land just to accommodate my decaying carcase in or being incinerated in a furnace - both seem pretty wasteful (of space and fuel), and somehow lacking in any sense of a fruitful finality.

Feels like a good idea, firstly, to give any available organs to someone else that needs them (probably not many of mine given my history). That done, I'd like to be sewn up in a cloth and bunged overboard at sea for the remains to be consumed by all the little sea dwelling fellas that I've most enjoyed eating myself over many years.

Would tickle me to think that someone may well be eating their seafood platter with added 'Essence of Chadford'.

Hmm...

...so is a burial at sea legal?

:)

Last edited:
Ari33 said:
It must be... that bloke Osama watzisname springs to mind... and if its good enough for him...

:D

He's dead? Swore he's still in Guantanamo.. Never saw a body did you?

It must be... that bloke Osama watzisname springs to mind... and if its good enough for him...

I bet they dropped the anchor on his toe afterwards, just for badness :D

I bet they dropped the anchor on his toe afterwards, just for badness :D

They'd have to, there was **** all left of his face.

It's much easier to just scatter someone ashes at sea, no need to notify maritime organisations but then I suppose for some it's not the same....

Feels like a good idea, firstly, to give any available organs to someone else that needs them (probably not many of mine given my history). That done, I'd like to be sewn up in a cloth and bunged overboard at sea for the remains to be consumed by all the little sea dwelling fellas that I've most enjoyed eating myself over many years.
If you're happy donating organs you should look into donating your whole body. Any usable organs will be used appropriately of course, but then the rest of your body will be used to train new doctors, etc. I don't think it matters (within reason) what state it's in.

Body donation FAQs

Personally, I'm hanging on for a space burial.

How about a Viking burial. Float away on a blazing pyre into the sunset like Kirk Douglas :thumbsup:

Don't you mean Robert Maxwell?! :rotfl:

Joking-aside: burial at sea, and/or scattering of ashes is legal in most parts of the UK, but it's best to get confirmation from the local council, just in case. The last thing you want is to have the service, and then get told you can't do the most important part (the scattering of the ashes or the burial at sea itself).

Pooch

Last edited:
Don't you mean Robert Maxwell?! :rotfl:

Joking-aside: burial at sea, and/or scattering of ashes is legal in most parts of the UK, but it's best to get confirmation from the local council, just in case. The last thing you want is to have the service, and then get told you can't do the most important part (the scattering of the ashes or the burial at sea itself).

Pooch

Does the local council have juristiction over the sea? :confused: It must end at some point :D

Hi IMBW,

Does the local council have juristiction over the sea? :confused: It must end at some point :D

Not the jurisdictional issue, but local council's may not want you dumping Great Aunt Celia's ashes in the water, due to any potential Environmental hassles they may get.

You know what "Health & Safety's" like these days! :(

Pooch

Last edited:
Hi IMBW,

Not the jurisdictional issue, but local council's may not want you dumping Great Aunt Celia's ashes in the water, due to any potential Environmental hassles they may get.

You know what "Health & Safety's" like these days! :(

Pooch

Given that you can keep them in an un-sealed jar in your house, I can't see them having any issue chucking them in the sea. The council puts a lot worse things in the sea... :D

My fathers ashes were scattered at sea, he was a fisherman lost in a boat accident, his friends ran the local RNLI lifeboat, we went out in that a had a little service then sent him on his way to the place he loved most.

International waters start at 12 miles out, I thought full burial at sea was no longer allowed just incase the body ended up being washed ashore! I maybe wrong.

Now you're just being picky IMBW, I'm sure you knew full well that Pooch meant the Marine Management Organisation :D

http://marinemanagement.org.uk/licensing/documents/guidance/06.pdf

for bodies, but no way for ashes :)

We do not encourage burial at sea, as tides and currents pose a significant risk of the body being returned to shore or being caught up in fishing gear. Such events naturally cause considerable distress to relatives, friends of the deceased and all concerned. To avoid that risk, we recommend the scattering of cremation ashes at sea as a more acceptable procedure - this can be carried out without a licence

if you really want to dump a body, just go 12-miles out into no-mans land :)

if you really want to dump a body, just go 12-miles out into no-mans land :)
DextersDock3.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom