1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burgler alarm system help

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by kevshed, Sep 1, 2004.

1. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Any Security system experts out there..... looking for some advice.

Just moved into a house, which has a fairly basic alarm system comprising of:

1x control box
    5x PIRs (with Tamper circuits)
    1x Smoke Detector
    1x Internal Sounder
    1x External alarm box.

The system is currently wired using 4 core alarm cable.

I would like to replace all of the internal elements listed above, with something like shown here: http://www.safedirect.co.uk/index.php?cPath=51

nothing too fancy, just want to modernise the look/feel of the system.

My question is:

Is the 4 core alarm cable that i have going to be sufficient? As i really want to use the existing cabling and just swap the parts out.

Any help appreciated as id like to place an order ASAP.

Thx
    Kev

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    Hi Kev , I'm no expert , but I did manage to replace a pir sensor in my last pad without too much problem.
    I managed to download the installation pdf for the pir on the wall , compared it to one available in maplins (About a tenner iirc) and just swapped it out. :smashin:
    You could have a problem if your code will not reset the system after the tamper circuit has been activated,but it should be ok.Only one way too find out tho :rolleyes: .
    If you know you can reset after a tamper activation , pop the sensor off, open it up, there should be manufacturer info stamped inside it ,see if you can find it on t'net , compare it to what you want.
    Most systems have a generic installers code , which happily ,I could find little info on ,on the net.But i probably looked in all the wrong places

all at your own risk , of course ;)

Service contract for my new place is about £100 pa

all the best
    john

3. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Ive just ordered new PIRs, and a new control box - im confident...... :) look out for another more desperate post after the weekend

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    :rotfl: good luck

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If the systems wired with 4 core and you are using pirs, 2 cores for the normally closed circuit, 2 cores for the tamper circuit and 2 cores for the supply voltage? Either that or they are using DOL (double end of line resisters).

Asssuming its a 6 core cable most wired detectors can replace most others with few problems.

All control panels come with an installer code but this is usually changed to a company installer code by the installer. Most can however be reset to factory defaults but that will also mean reprogramming the entire system.

Breaking the tamper circuit will set the alarm off if it is not in installer mode, the user code will usually silence the alarm. Some panels require the installer code to reset a tamper but not many old ones.

6. lardy

lardy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Once, you've made sure that you can reset after a tamper (panel, PIR, etc) I'd watch out for the external sounder as that will probably make some noise as you disconnect it unless you have the engineer code for the existing panel (highly unlikely - as they are almost always changed) or it has no internal battery (possible) or the sounder battery is in a depleted/worn out state (quite possible). That can be checked (usually) by cutting the power to the whole system and waiting a while.....after some time with the internal sounder going the external sounder will activate - can always power back up and enter user code.
    BTW what sort of panel do you have?? Sometimes these are identifiable by markings on the PCB. There is info out there on these beasts - even the very old stuff...
    BTW, good luck.